Help with Peace Dollar Grading

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by timewaster1700, Apr 10, 2019.

1. So I recently acquired a couple raw peace dollars, a 1926-P and a 1924-S. I'm trying to determine if these coins are worth sending in to PCGS. I was hoping to get some more seasoned eyes on these to see if the coins have any danger of making AU instead of MS. Also for what its worth I would essentially need a MS-65 out of the 1926 and a MS-63 out of the 1924-S in order for it to be worth sending in as far as values go.

Here are a couple videos I took to try to show these coins and their details:
    1926:

1924-S:

For the 1926, it has a layer of toning on it (almost like dust or something) and that may be impairing the brilliance of the luster. I can't really see any "wear" persay but there are a bunch of hairline scratches on the left field of the obverse and on Liberty's cheek. These are what have me wondering if this might bump down into AU. I need a more seasoned person's eye on this. The reverse of the coin has a couple small dings in areas that don't seem very noticeable to me so otherwise it seems to be a very nice coin without distracting hits that many other coins have.

For the 1924-S it is obviously poorly struck which is normal for this year. It has a bunch of contact marks too. Its really hard to tell if the luster is gone anywhere on these San Francisco coins. I've noticed poorly struck coins don't seem to have as much luster to begin with so its not as easy to see.

Any advice and opinions are welcomed. Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. I hadn't checked the latest prices. An MS-61/62 would actually still be worthwhile for the 1924-S

4. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Sorry to say, but you can't really see enough of the coins to make any determination. First, the coins need to come out of the flips. Second, we need to see the surfaces close up to judge them.

5. Thanks so much for your response. I'll see if I can get create new videos with closer views this evening when I get home and I'll take them out of the flips. I don't like handling coins but I'll just wear some nitrile gloves. Thanks!

6. Here's some better videos:
    You'll likely have to select high quality manually and full screen would probably help too

1924-S:

1926 Part 1 (Obverse):

1926 Part 2 (Reverse):

7. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

First one is a Slider, something between AU58 and MS62.
    I tend to MS.......nice coin.

The Second one is Similar, but Here I tend to AU. Obverse seems to have wear.

8. Thanks for your input I greatly appreciate it. So first one being the 1924-S?

9. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

IMO, looks like both have been lightly wiped/cleaned.

Is it possible for you to take a straight on shot of the obverse/reverse of each coin and post them? If you browse around this site, you'll see pictures that make it easier to judge a coin. You can try viewing one of the many "post your...." threads to get an idea of the type of picture that would be useful in answering your question.

10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

As an aside, be VERY careful wearing gloves like that. The loss of dexterity could very easily result in a drop or similar damage.

Draft saved Draft deleted