Help with my 1832 Bust Half

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jloring, Jun 1, 2016.

1. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

I've been away from coins for a few years and decided to sell this bust half. After looking at it, I feel there's a number of issues, and hoping someone here can offer some feedback. Is the obverse "tooled" in any way? I remember years ago someone mentioned something about this. And why does the edge have what appears to be remnants of reeding? All the edge lettering is there. Any info would be appreciated!

IMG_0829.jpg IMG_0831.jpg IMG_0833.jpg EDGE1.jpg EDGE2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

There are several differnt edge styles used throughout the series. In an attempt to help prevent slippage of the edge dies during lettering they placed the "reeds" between some of the letters to help the die "bite into" the planchet and not slip.

4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Don't see any tooling.

5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

That reeded-style rim was the norm for 1832. It's O-112, immediately recognizable by the errant "1" base punched to the left of the existing digit. As Conder mentioned, slippage during the planchet's trip through the Castaing Machine was an ongoing problem with Bust Halves, and overlapped/missing edge lettering abounds in the series.

I immediately suspected the definition of the clasp - it's a feature not normally so well-defined at this level of wear - but looking at a few lower grade examples at Heritage indicate this variety received good strikes there so I'm reassured. With that being the case, one would think the coin to be unmolested, at least in the "tooling" aspect.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Thanks guys!

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

not bad looking

Draft saved Draft deleted