Help with miscut, misaligned and misprinted 1985 $1

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Joe Campbell, Apr 21, 2022.

1. Joe Campbell

Joe Campbell Well-Known Member

I don’t collect currency but occasionally I find cool stuff I can’t resist. Today was such a day.

I’d like to describe what I see in the note (photo’s attached) and then, if possible, you guys can tell me where I got it right and where I got it wrong. This will help me learn. Also would love thoughts on what value you see in this note. I’ll post what I paid for it later, I just don’t want to bias any answers either way.

On to the note....
    1) The reverse (1st printing) looks normal.
    2) The obverse 2 printed is shifted horizontally between 1/4-1/2” as compared to the reverse printing.
    3) The 3rd printing on the obverse is aligned with the reverse printing and therefor misaligned with the obverse 2nd printing.
    4) This misalignment in obverse and reverse printing then requires a cut that intersects the obverse second printing.
    5) There are 3 small holes in the note - looks to me like someone used a thumbtack to stick to to a board or something. Other than that the condition is that of a lightly circulated note.

Please let me know if any of what I just typed makes sense or not. And again, would love thoughts on value.

thanks for looking.

049435CC-FCFF-4D5A-A45A-DB1519D9BFC5.png 1CA9C881-6624-4B53-9866-702DE9884355.png 65CB2B6F-AC4B-4310-A60E-84B56AD78B51.png ADB43A4D-880C-4F9E-B260-4FD4F8480724.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

No idea on value. I'll leave that to the experts @SteveInTampa

Nice looking note though. Congrats on a good find.

4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Your note was cut after it left the BEP and is manmade, not an error.

It is from an uncut sheet sold by the BEP. From series1981 through series 2013(?) Any serial number 96000000 or higher were only sold by the BEP as sheets.

Too bad because the printing is misaligned. That would be a really cool error on an uncut sheet

Joe Campbell likes this.
  5. masterswimmer

So you're saying the entire sheet was a misaligned second printing?

Joe Campbell likes this.
  6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Duplicate post
    It would have to be. There are 32 notes from this sheet that are misaligned. What a shame it was cut up

7. masterswimmer

That's a travesty! Calling it a shame is too lenient for the offender.

Joe Campbell likes this.
  8. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

You got that right! We live and learn here, that's what we do! :D

Joe Campbell and SensibleSal66 like this.
  9. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

The serial number range for sheets back then was H99904001D - H99999999D. It’s not from a collector sheet. It’s got a misaligned second print. Cool find.

10. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Nice DuDe!!! Far out man. I love it. It will do well if sold. JMHO. :clown:

Joe Campbell likes this.
  11. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Here's a pic showing high numbers in 1985! Looks like you're right, truly rare then! thumbsup.gif

numbers.jpg

Joe Campbell and SensibleSal66 like this.
  12. SteveInTampa

Different blocks had different serial number ranges, some higher, some lower. This list is only for 1985 $1 FRNs.

B8693960-4B8B-4406-BB08-81BCF5DB7CC7.jpeg

Joe Campbell and fretboard like this.
  13. anniequilts

anniequilts Member

If this had been from an uncut sheet, wouldn't the back also have shown the same miscut?

Joe Campbell likes this.
  14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Damaged as it was cut with scissors. Not a BEP error.

Joe Campbell likes this.
  15. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

That left side cut that is not strait sure makes you wonder exactly what happened. BEP cuts are strait.

Joe Campbell likes this.
  16. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

I do not believe the left side cut isn't straight. First, if it were angled, the back side would show the same angle. Second, the front angle is apparently an illusion of the photograph. If you take a one dollar bill from your wallet and align a straight edge exactly with the leaves and other features as in the OP's photo, you will see that it is, in fact, straight. Apparently in the photo the bill curls back a bit, making the cut look like it curls also. The fact that the back is well centered and cut straight and that the number does not appear to be from one of the blocks of uncut numbers in SteveinTampa's list above leads me to conclude the bill is totally legit with no post BEP cutting.

Very nice error note! Great find!

Joe Campbell likes this.
  17. SteveInTampa

The first print (back of the note) went fine. The second print (front of the note) had the sheet fed slightly askew. The third print (overprint of seals and serial numbers) went fine. It is not mis-cut from a BEP collector sheet. It’s a legitimate error.

18. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Joe Campbell likes this.
  19. Joe Campbell

Thanks for all the discussion thus far.

To answer the question about the straightness of the cuts, as @Neal suggests above both cuts are perfectly straight. In the photo the note is slightly bowed / elevated in the center making it look like a curved cut.

Thanks again.

20. Joe Campbell

21. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Does not matter to me I would pay a premium just to have it in our collection. It's different, interesting, with more than one error. The only thing I don't like about it is the idiot that cut it from the sheet. Thanks for sharing your keeper, good luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted