Help with MintMark

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Exodus_gear, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Exodus_gear

Exodus_gear Well-Known Member

I am having a bit of a hard time verifying the Rev Mint Mark. To me it appears to be SMNS, though I would like to verify with more experienced collectors.

20200225_132418.jpg 20200225_132259.jpg 20200225_132210.jpg 20200225_132406.jpg

Theodosius and Bing like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I am by no means an expert but I saw SMNS before reading what you wrote.

7Calbrey likes this.
  4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

It's a good guess. The mark is garbled either because of faulty engraving or die chips, or a weak strike. SMNE is also a possibility, as well as SMHS or SMHE. One of the maddening things about discerning certain Nicomedia from Heraclea mint marks is that the H in Heraclea mint marks often has a slanted cross bar, making the letter look like N, and the two mints used same format: Sacra Moneta, N or H, officina.

7Calbrey, Exodus_gear and furryfrog02 like this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Coin is Constans, though you probably know that already.

6. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

At this point your best bet may be to compare the styles of different mints during the 337-340 A.D. time span. (Constans is called Augustus rather than Caesar on your coin.) The reverse may be more useful than the obverse.

I would start with Cyzicus, since a garbled SMKS seems most likely to me. Other mints to compare include Nicomedia, then Herclea, Antioch and finally, if all else fails, Thessalonica.

Draft saved Draft deleted