Help with IDing a Greek Coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Xodus, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

I wasn't sure which direction was "up" for the reverse, so I posted two pictures. Thanks for your help!

IMG_20190221_170813986.jpg
    IMG_20190221_170829204.jpg IMG_20190221_170840490.jpg

Marsyas Mike and galba68 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Boy, that's going to be tough.

What's the size and weight?

I suspect it is from Phoenicia, perhaps Arados. The obverse is Tyche-- common on coins of Phoenicia and the Levant. I think the reverse is going to be the prow of a galley. You can get a sense of the three-pronged ram at the left of the coin.

7Calbrey, Xodus and Ed Snible like this.
  4. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

The weight is 2.4g and the size is 17mm

I've been using coinproject.com to search, is there a better/easier way to find it? Thanks!

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Yes, use acsearch.info. You have to have a paid membership to see prices realized (worth it!) but it's still a great way place to search for coins. Another option is CNG's archives, which shows prices, but acsearch also includes CNG's archives plus dozens and dozens of other auction houses.

Edited/joined for ease of viewing:

CT-Xodus.TycheProw.jpg

Marsyas Mike, galba68 and Xodus like this.
  6. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

7. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks so much! I love these new resources, I'm going to have some fun with these, thanks :) Any tips on how to use ACsearch? Seems a bit intense lol

8. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It does take time to learn the best way to search all of these databases. Some search words will yield so many results that it isn't helpful. Some sites will take into consideration minor spelling variations of names and places (ACsearch is pretty good about this); others don't. There is an art to using just the right search words. It helps if the unknown coin you're trying to identify has some feature that is less common, or a combination of features you can be reasonably sure of.

It is difficult if you aren't able to identify or guess at at least a couple of the features of a coin. For instance, with the coin you showed, hopefully you recognized the obverse as Tyche (her headdress is the giveaway). However, search terms of only "tyche ae" are going to yield a megaton of hits. You could try "tyche bust ae" (order of words isn't important) and that cuts out a thousand hits but still leaves you with two thousand.

Sometimes something unrelated will sneak in and you can get rid of those hits by typing a dash before the word. For instance, if the search results included a bunch of tetradrachms, you could add "-tetradrachm" to the search terms.

Of course, now you know that the reverse of your coin shows a prow so you can narrow it down considerably by adding "prow" to the search string... or even more because Ed and David and I pegged it as being from Phoenicia :D.

I'm not sure you'll be able to do more than say "probably from Arados". There may be several types that could fit.

galba68, Marsyas Mike and Xodus like this.
  10. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted