Help with identifying Chinese coins?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by GotSilver?, Jul 5, 2015.

1. GotSilver?

GotSilver? New Member

Hi, I inherited some foreign coins most of which I could find since I can google anything with "letters"... but the chinese coins I can't find anything on. I mostly collect silver coins and can tell that the large one by the Peace dollar is silver (roughly the same size and weight as the Peace dollar, ring test and magnet test pass as well). The others I'm sure are not silver... way too light or are magnetic. Other than that, can anyone tell me anything else about them? Thanks in advance.

IMG_0676[1].jpg IMG_0677[1].jpg IMG_0681.JPG IMG_0682.JPG
    IMG_0674[1].jpg

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

can we see pics of the other side of these coins ? that will help identify them a little better. :bookworm:

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. GotSilver?

GotSilver? New Member

My bad... it was late, and I'm actually embarrassed to say some of these were glued to cardboard and displayed in a frame. In any case I'd still like to know what they are (actually I see now one of them says "Republic of China Ten Cash"... http://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=2720). I found a Thai coin too... any info would be greatly appreciated. IMG_0683.JPG IMG_0685.JPG IMG_0684.JPG IMG_0686.JPG IMG_0687.JPG IMG_0688.JPG IMG_0670.JPG

swamp yankee and spirityoda like this.
  5. GotSilver?

GotSilver? New Member

6. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Ok, I'll put in my 2 cents worth using the pictures from the first post.

1: 1936 5 fen
    2: 1912 10 cash x 2
    3: 1890s Fukien Province 1.44 mace or better known as 20 cents. This is a counterfeit.
    The next coin to it is a cash coin. I don't specialize in this field but I guess this should be from the Song Dynasty and it should be around the 1000 AD.
    4: 1 jiao from Taiwan. Can't tell the date as there's glue on the reverse.
    1936 10 fen
    5: 1934 1 yuan. This seems to be genuine but I am somewhat troubled by the reverse. It just might be the photography.

GotSilver? and chrisild like this.
  7. manymore

manymore Chinese Charms

Yes, it is a sheng song yuan bao (聖宋元寶) written in seal script and cast during the years 1101-1106 of the reign of Emperor Huizong of the Northern Song Dynasty.

Gary

mlov43, GotSilver? and harleytater like this.
  8. kforbes862

kforbes862 Well-Known Member

Ive been wanting a junk dollar for a while now but havent found one that isnt way over book value.

9. GotSilver?

GotSilver? New Member

@forbes, If you don't mind me asking what have you seen junk silver coins from this year and in this condition go for?

10. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I think you are trying to get one of such 'junk' coins too cheap, you are more likely to get a counterfeit.

The quality of counterfeits are so good that normal weight test, magnetic, poor details etc no longer apply.

Draft saved Draft deleted