Help with Identification

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bing, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

OK, I went out on a limb and purchased this real hefty sestertius of Nero. I am not only having some trouble with the proper reference for identification, but I would be very pleased if you can reassure me that this is a genuine Nero Sestertius. Once it has been established as to it's relative authenticity, I will tell you what I paid. Here is what I have so far. The RIC reference could easily change with your help:
    Nero 6 OBV.JPG Nero 6 REV.JPG Nero 6 A.JPG
    NERO
    AE Sestertius
    OBVERSE: NERO CLAVD CAESAR AVG GER P M TR P IMP P P, laureate head right with aegis
    REVERSE: S-C, triumphal arch surmounted by quadriga, statue of Mars between column
    Struck at Rome, 64 AD
    27.7g, 34mm
    RIC 143

BTW, I've checked all the fake databases with nothing matching that I can see.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I don't know the sestertii of Nero, so I can't comment on its authenticity, but what prompts the question?

5. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

6. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Like JA, I'm not familiar enough with Nero Sestertii to comment on authenticity...but the example/link Amos provided for the $1,500.00 version from Lugdunum seems a closer match than the others...And i'm guessing that your concerns revolve around what they are valued and sold for and what you secured yours at??? Looks legit to me, but I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination...I'm impatient to 'hear' what the others have to say...

7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I sure hope it gets the a-okay (or more importantly, I hope it doesn't get the nope-a dope!!)

... if nothing else, it certainly looks like a nice big skipping-stone!!

skippingstonea.jpg

Good Luck & Cheers, big-bro!!

swamp yankee and Amos 811 like this.
  8. Bing

You and JA have the right of it. In hand it looks and feels genuine. There are no matches in the fake databases that I can find, and I am no expert on Nero Sestertius. But the single most concern is what I was able to secure this coin. It has to make a person wonder. But before I say the price I paid so as not to influence any thought process, I will wait till I hear from a few more of my coin brothers and sisters.
    I hope so too Little Brother. And it really is one of those "pond skippers" you are always talking about.

swamp yankee and Mikey Zee like this.
  9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Looks just fine to me, too. Interesting type! I'd love to have one of these, along with the one with the Macellum Magnum market reverse.

10. ancientnut

ancientnut Well-Known Member

It is difficult to judge without having it in hand, but I don't like the looks of it. It has the soft details and slightly blurry legends of a cast.

11. ancientnut

stevex6 and Mikey Zee like this.
  12. Mikey Zee

nero ric 147.jpg nero ric 1.jpg Bing, here are two examples I just saw offered ...RIC 1 and RIC 147..for comparison

WHOA!! That $11,000 purchase has me stunned and muttering....My hats off to you ancientnut...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    swamp yankee and NOS like this.
  13. Bing

You may be completely right, but ill argue that in hand in does not have the soft appearance. I will try to take a better image to post.
    I picked out RIC 147 for some reason. Where did you see them offered?

14. Mikey Zee

At V-Coins Bing

15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i don't know bing, i'm not the best at judging this type of thing. it does look a tad soft, but could be wear. size and weight look good.

here's one on acsearch a bit better reverse that went for under 200...

http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=589039

i think you could have just got a pretty nice "but" coin at a reasonable price..which is awesome!

i love a big ol' gnarly coin that still has some sweet details!

stevex6 likes this.
  16. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

What a chunky coin jw, i hope its real, awesome coin.:)

17. Mikey Zee

Mats RIC 143 looks the most like yours so far to me

18. Mikey Zee

Mats version: RIC 143 Mats 147.jpg

19. ancientnut

Bing, I'm definitely not trying to rain on your parade. The soft, cast appearance I'm seeing may well be due to blurriness of the photo. I'm sure you have seen plenty of casts before and can judge the coin much better than I can from a photo.

20. Bing

Hey, I ask for your opinion and I, for one, appreciate honesty. I was 50/50 on this when I bought it. It does look and feel good in hand. But like Steve always points out "where there is doubt, there is no doubt". If more of you think it may fake, I can return it or I can just keep it. But again, I wish to wait till I've heard from all willing to opine.

21. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

For some reason, I feel it's genuine. BG.. Of course when you decide, you'll check it out for sure .. And... Good Luck brother. You deserve , and much more.
    Charles

Mikey Zee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted