help with ID please

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by chrsmat71, Feb 6, 2016.

1. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i recently picked up a lot of coins and have had pretty good luck (and fun) identifying them. these two, i haven't been able to figure out. any help would be appreciated.

the first is some sort of small bust (apollo?) and cornucopia thing?

100_7604.JPG 100_7606.JPG
    100_7600.JPG 100_7602.JPG

the second is a maybe a horned figure with a ...um...zeus? neat grapes countermark however. cyclades?

Okidoki and stevex6 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Very cool c/m on that second example ... hey dawg, a bit more coin info might help the regular coin posse track-down your sweet new mystery coins

Cheers

4. chrsmat71

the first is about 23 mm and 5.5 g, the second is about 19 mm and 4.7 g. i had a suspicion i wasn't just being a wienie...and these were going to be hard to pin down. whatever they are, i don't think they are common coin types. the first may not be ancient? maybe a token or something?

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Boy, I do love an ID challenge but have no idea on that first one. I don't recall seeing anything like it before, with anepigraph obverse and such a generous border. Maybe you're right about it being non-ancient or a token.

The second... that soldier has been through many wars-- not sure you'll be able to say with much certainty. Maybe the countermark will help narrow it down.

6. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

C71. All I can notice is a person standing head right on the reverse of the second coin.He's holding something with his right hand( very visible). Also reverse field right shows possibly another person or maybe the dude is holding another thing with his left hand. The warier on the obverse could possibly be a Macedonian . Just a guess for fun.

7. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Has the reverse been over struck ... looks like another figure on the right?

8. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

9. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

10. chrsmat71

thanks for looking everyone, hey...you may be on to something @Topcat7 , especially on my first coin... i'll bark up that tree for a bit!

i can't tell yoc, it's in such rough shape...but you could be right. so could you 7C....my first instinct was thrace (when in doubt, guess thrace).

11. chrsmat71

i got it! thanks @Topcat7 for the assist here and making me re-examine apollo. the grapes kept taking me back to the cyclades, and the reverse i thought was zues holding an eagle is poseidon holding a dolphin! this is a pretty cool coin really!

http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=250396

this is the english translation of the acsearch coin using google translate...

GREEK
    CYCLADES
    Siphnos
    No .: 709
    Estimate / Estimate : EUR 80
    d = 20 mm
    Bronze , 3rd century . Head of the youthful Apollo Karneios with ram's horn n . R . Rv . [ THNIWN ] Poseidon n in himation . L . Individual, trident in his left hand holding , dolphin on the right, in the field l . Grape . 5.53 g . BMC 130 , 32. SNG Cop . 785. Rare . Black patina . Oval flan . On Av . Round counterpunch : Grape .
    Av . Very beautiful. Rv . Nice
    Acquired 1993rd

TIF likes this.
  12. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

;)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  13. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Wow. I never get to the point where I've seen every coin type. Thanks for posting!

14. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

i like the Countermark

Draft saved Draft deleted