Help with holder for gold coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Jul 28, 2016.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

So I finally received my Maurice Tiberius solidus today (yay!), but now I feel as if I've run into a bit of a problem regarding what kind of plastic holder. I have a couple of spare Saflips left, but they seem like a bit of a tight fit as far as thickness goes, and I'm worried that the tightness of the holder will put pressure on the soft gold surface of the coin and damage it. Is this actually a known issue? Or am I over-exaggerating? The good thing I see from using the Saflip is that the coin won't move around easily. Thanks for any advice.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Width and thickness of coin?

4. ValiantKnight

22 mm wide, 1 mm thick (possibly slight more with the devices, it is not very high relief). Width-wise it will fit fine, the holder is one of the 1.5 inch ones.

5. Pishpash

Do you want a quadrum holder?
    quqd.JPG
    You cut the inner bit to fit the coin, stops it from rattling around. I can send you one if you PM me your address.

6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Jango => that coin must be 1500 years old ... if your plastic flip ruins it, I'd be a bit surprised (but hey, I don't want to be blamed, so do what you've gotta do)

=> be as careful as possible and protect that golden sweetie!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  7. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Mikey Zee likes this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

A rigid plastic holder like the one Pish posted or the ones that resemble reopenable slabs would work.

However, I think a Saflip is fine and dandy.

Gold isn't that soft!

Alegandron and Mikey Zee like this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Agreed.

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Some gold coins are a lot softer than you might think if your experience is with 90% US. There are snap shut holders very much like slabs which might be appropriate. I am not a fan of the tab type as used by NGC but with suggest a visit to a local coin store. I have one coin in a half dollar size reopenable holder that came to me with a purchase that I use for the one coin that size I am protecting. I am not interested in putting the whole collection in such things but have a few fragile coins in recycled air-tites and the like that have come with coins I bought.

11. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

I keep my lone gold coin in a saflip, unless it's really thick I don't think it will damage it. If you really want to protect it though, look for an airtite that has the closest fit.

12. Pishpash

Are the rings in Airtites flexible? Romans are rarely round, and if they are, they are usually dodgy.

13. ValiantKnight

Thanks all for the advice! So if I understand right, Saflips are fine, but for the best protection short of actual slabbing a holder/airtite would be better?

@Pishpash Ill take you up on that. Thanks so much for the offer! I'll send a PM shortly. If its all right with you I'd like to at least cover the shipping cost for you.

14. ValiantKnight

Certainly, @Orfew. Took photos today just still need to crop and all that other good stuff.

15. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

They are bit flexible, they're made out of foam. The coin would probably rattle around a bit since you would go just a tiny bit bigger.

16. ValiantKnight

Totally off-topic but still within the area of coin storage. I recently bought dessicant packs and I have the red coin storage boxes. Should I put one or more of them within my coins in the boxes, or should I keep them outside and next to the boxes? Or what would be better?

17. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Are you sure you need them? If you must, put one inside the box. Unless the place you live in is very humid, put two.

Hispanicus likes this.
  18. ValiantKnight

I'm in South Florida, very humid in the summer months. So even though I haven't run into major problems yet, I'd rather stay on the safe side and have the packs.

19. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

As you know, I live in Florida as well. But my coins reside inside an air conditioned facility. No need for the dessicant packets IMHO.

David Atherton likes this.
  20. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i put a desiccant packs in my coin boxes, then i put more desiccants pack in the box I store my coin boxes in!

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted