Help with Grading Raw 1855 Trime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Publius2, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="johnmilton, post: " Have a backbone and say “NO!” to the nonsense.[/QUOTE]

I do and will right now..as I got all the back bone needed to know a damaged coin is that damage.. and not a "give me " ..because I send in hundreds of coins a month..and get a pass... or better grades....where the average Joe who sends in 5 coins, and gets a different grade or detailed coin back....
    Yeah youre correct it is nonsense.... keep drinking the kool ade.;)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Here are my other two type coins for the Silver Three Cent Piece:

Type 1, MS-66.

1852 3 Cent All.jpg

Type III, Proof 65, Cam, CAC

1867 Trime All.jpg

I sill own this one. It is graded MS-63. I have always liked the 1851-O.

1851-O 3 Cent All.jpg

I owned this one at one time. I sort of wish I had kept it since it is an overdate and Civil War era piece. NGC graded this one MS-65.

1861AG3cent All.jpg

4. Tall Paul

Tall Paul Supporter! Supporter

It took me a while to find this type II trime for my type set. It's an MS-64 with a green bean.
    I do have a whizzed coin that I purchased for my beehive topical collection but also
    so I had a whizzed coin for reference.

[​IMG]

5. Paddy54

The 62/1 over date has been refuted many times over the years as being a die chip. It is still refered to as an over date. My example. You be the judge... 1862 -1 close.jpg 1862-1 Trime.jpg

Other so called over dates are the 1863/2, 1866/5,1869/8

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    Publius2 likes this.
  6. Paddy54

Holed but a no brainer proof 1861 @$29 a steal s-l1600-3~2.png s-l1600-2~2.png

ksparrow, Anthony Mazza and Publius2 like this.
  7. Paddy54

8. johnmilton

I think that it is an overdate. How do you get such a straight line on a die clip?

9. Paddy54

Well for centuries mankind belived the moon to be made of cheese!

There is no remnants of any digit above or below the digit ,and....if the mint worker were to reuse a die of a 61
    They would need to abrade the area around the 1. Which would remove the medal causing the 1 to be more so incused . Thus a die chip or crack...is the reason for this variety. As the same for the others I listed that are not over dates but md, or chips, or other artifact but not a punched digit.

And if you ever seen medal from lathe turnings ,machine shop work youll find all sorts of small scrap medal shapes and sizes. .... I've watched jewerlers friends of mine carve silver and gold and again the off falls can be any shape, size , etc.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  10. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I've found the discussion my post initiated to be both illuminating and entertaining. But so far, other than @Paddy54's estimate of 62/63, no one has offered an opinion on the grade of my coin. Other than Details, is it VF, XF, AU?

Since others have done so, I'll post my Type 1 and Type 3 trimes.

DSC_0220-tile.jpg 1873 Three Cent Silver Type 3 Obv-Rev-side.jpg

Anthony Mazza, Vess1 and Paddy54 like this.
  11. Paddy54

Well you asked for a grade...and from my perspective that what I believe it to be .

12. johnmilton

Most of the time, when a mint worker creates an over date die, they don’t try to efface the original number. They punch the new date over it usually leaving the remains of the previous date under it.

13. Paddy54

That's correct but not the case here...as its not in the others I listed.... ;)

14. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I think it's AU details.

15. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I also think Publius2's coin has beenwhizzed, and would give it AU details

Draft saved Draft deleted