Help with gold coins $2.5,$3,$5

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by chromerunner, May 27, 2016.

1. chromerunner

chromerunner ******

Trying to get opinions on these.
    They weigh right. They Are 90% gold......but just seem off.
    I'm sure someone here can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The $5 seems to have been hit with 24k acid at some time or another
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

The top two are counterfeit. The 80's is a genuine problem coin.

micbraun likes this.
  4. chromerunner

chromerunner ******

what jumps out at you right away? Luster/color/ certain detail?

5. Insider

Diagnostics:

$3 old fake from 70's. Color off due to bad alloy. Fatty letters and numerals. Round berries in wreath. Outside rim and dentils are completely wrong. Blobs of EM in field under "S."

$2 1/2 Old fake from same period. Ditto alloy and color. Usual "old" C/F rev with pimples in field above left wing. Tool marks from dentils on both sides.

1880-S This is in "bad company" but 100% genuine from photo. Note the "life" coming from the surface vs the washed-out look of the other two having no range of cartwheel. Both fakes have very nice luster; it is just not the uneven genuine mint luster. Pink diagonal patches thru date are places where the copper was once oxidized to black and someone put Ezest on them to remove the black. So far, this is a characteristic very, very rarely seen on a c/f. Cannot tell if that is debris or damage on the rim. check rim for mount removal but the coin does not look like ex-jewelry.

6. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I agree top 2 are for sure fakes. I would avoid the third as well considering I do not know those as well, and the seller has 2 known fakes in the batch.

7. Insider

On one hand, here we go again...see red. Perhaps the OP can wait for some opinions from some members who DO KNOW THE SERIES concerning the third coin. On the other hand, @jwitten's advice may be considered due to the rim problem.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  8. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Plus with all the other coin's problems - if need be, it would be tough to sell.
    I'd stay away from it.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Yes, here we go again. You just have to be insulting.

noname and KoinJester like this.
  10. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Well?

A Quote by Harry S. Truman
    "I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell." - Harry Truman

Harry Truman (1884 - 1972)

micbraun, TypeCoin971793 and Insider like this.
  11. Insider

Insulting? :jawdrop::blackeye::(:shame::sorry:

Did you have anything to post about the OP's coins? What do you think about #3? :nailbiting:

12. Insider

...and sometimes the truth hurts too.

Reminds me how I felt when a little girl :bigtears: in our play ground came to the defense of the crippled kid :bucktooth: that the big, bad bully picked on. :angelic:

13. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I agree with Insider that the top 2 are fake but the bottom coin is real . The top 2 have so many problems like the rims , mushy details , raised dots and other problems in the lettering . Now I'm far from an expert in gold coins but that seems to fit most fakes .

Insider likes this.
  14. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

The first thing I saw was the smoothness of the fields. I would expect them to be PL as well. This is a completely unnatural look for classic US gold. The obverse looks EF, but everything else looks UNC; another bad sign. The rims look like nothing I have ever seen on a genuine $3 gold.

The first thing that struck me was the mushiness in the obverse detail. I saw the rest of my above points as well. The clincher, however, are the presence of pimples and spikes (toolmarks) on this coin. For example, look at 2:00, 3:00, and 7:00 on the obverse, and look at 12:00-2:00, 4:00, 5:00, and 8:00 on the reverse, particularly near the rims.

I believe this coin to be genuine. It has the "look" of a genuine circulated half eagle. The acid test make have been done from a non-numismatic gold dealer.

chromerunner, rzage and Insider like this.
  15. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I believe the $3 had it's edge "reeding" applied with a knurling tool leading to the bizarre look . This is commonly used on fake 1$ gold. The 2nd coin is just a bowl of mush. The last one is genuine; could the stuff on the rev be leftover from some sort of jewelry application? The acid test makes sense I just have never seen what it looks like.

micbraun, chromerunner and rzage like this.
  16. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

First unnatural luster. Too smooth surfaces weak hair detail and abnormal rims - fake
    Second weak all over detail sloppy lettering and unnatural luster - fake
    Third has legit wear and bag marks it also has the rim problem - genuine but damaged

17. Insider

:muted:
    It seems so easy to spot the fakes today but in the early 70's counterfeit $2 1/2 Liberty coins of several different dates used the same reverse and were fooling everyone.

18. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Two out of three fake. Makes a slabbed gold coin an even better idea.

19. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Just looked at a batch of gold coins up for auction only bidding on 2. All raw all real. All more common dates. Most have cleaning or surface issues. A 79-s $20 has a semi pl reverse and nice surfaces. A 62 I'd call it. And a 97 $10 is a nice crusty original au. 55 is my grade. Those are the only 2 out of over a dozen I liked I'll see what they bring

20. Coinlover67

Coinlover67 Well-Known Member

Not an expert on the series by a long shot, but I agree that coin 1 and 2 are fakes. On coin 2 what jumped out at me was the difference on the details on both sides and the overall mushiness of the strike. Again not an expert, but that's what jumped out at me when seeing the first 2 coins.

21. chromerunner

chromerunner ******

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Draft saved Draft deleted