Help with French Gold Coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by benhur767, Dec 13, 2018.

1. benhur767

benhur767 Sapere aude

@willieboyd2 Fascinating history. I had no idea. Thank you for sharing the poster image as well as your great coin!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. benhur767

benhur767 Sapere aude

Yes, the artistic quality and intricate details do seem to rival St. Gaudens! Thank you for making the comparison.

4. benhur767

benhur767 Sapere aude

@Cucumbor Thank you for sharing your coins! All wonderful examples. I especially like the design with the angel inscribing the tablet.

Cucumbor likes this.
  5. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Yes, Bullion Value

benhur767 likes this.
  6. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

Belle pieces. J'aime beaucoup l'or francais. Je pense qu'ils sont meilleurs que l'or americain.

7. ACoinJob

ACoinJob There are still some out there to be had.

BV is I believe Below Value at melt, you are correct.

benhur767 likes this.
  8. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

You're right Dave, I should have been more specific : all the coins bearing the DIEU PROTEGE LA FRANCE edge are originals, not all of the others are restrikes, but all the restrikes have the LIBERTE EGALITE FRATERNITE edge.

And you're right again, the copper content of the restrikes is slightly higher, hence the more reddish appearence. Also, they don't show circulation wear as they were massively hoarded (and you couldn't pay with gold by the time they were minted), thus most of them are about UNC or UNC

Q

9. benhur767

benhur767 Sapere aude

The edge lettering on mine says LIBERTE EGALITE FRATERNITE so as mentioned earlier, probably a restrike.

10. Quintus Arrius

Quintus Arrius New Member

A tip for French 20-franc gold rooster (or Coq Marianne) set registrants... Rooster collectors are a notoriously quiet lot. Most of the earlier "originals" 1899-1906, reside primarily in Europe (in PCGS holders) while most of the "restrikes" are available in the United States (in NGC holders). No TPGS has ever certified any Rooster in Mint State 68 condition (and most of the originals are rarely found or available in upper-tier grades.

11. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Bullion Value.

PS: sorry, just noticed this was answered like 3 years ago :-D

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted