Help With Finding a Medal

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by OldGoldGuy, May 26, 2015.

1. OldGoldGuy

OldGoldGuy Members Only Jacket

Good Afternoon Fellow Coin Addicts

I am looking to purchase this Medal after seeing it in a 3 year old post by CHIEFBULSIT. I don't know what it is about this medal, but I have stared at it for 2 days now. Gotta get it. If anyone knows where I can purchase one....please, help me out....doesn't necessarily need to be in any amazing condition, I just want one.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Beautiful medal for sure, I don't even collect them and would love to have one.. .. good luck with the search.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  5. paddyman98

6. paddyman98

Sorry I even looked on Ebay and nothing :(

7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

They got these people they call "coin dealers." Lol. But really, contact some directly, see if they can hunt one down.

8. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

9. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

But whatever you do, do NOT get the ANS in New York involved. Since it's an award medal from them, they'll probably figure any wayward orphans need to come home.

paddyman98 and OldGoldGuy like this.
  10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@OldGoldGuy

I wish I could help you because this is really a beautiful medal. I've been collecting medals for more than 20 years, and I've found that there are many that were produced in low mintages which made it difficult to find them. Sometimes, I've had to search for 10 years or so to find specific medals. I can only suggest that you spread the word to your friends and dealers in the hope that they can help you.

Good luck!

Chris

11. OldGoldGuy

It is not a coin.

12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

What do you think, they're under license to find only coins? Lol. It's round and it's metal, they'll find it.

13. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

From what I understand there was only one medal made each year. Stack's archives has the one from 1946, it sold for over $5k. The listing mentions that it was made by Medallic Art Co. and that earlier examples were made by Tiffany & Co, so probably even more pricey.

paddyman98 likes this.
  14. V. Kurt Bellman

If you can possibly swing getting to the August ANA show in the Chicago area, I bet someone there will either have one or know where to snag one quickly. There is NO specialty that goes unrepresented at an ANA summer convention. If that's out of the question for you and you can wait, tickle me again about this medal in very early August, and I'll try to bird dog it for you, gratis. We can PM then and I can give your contact info to the dealer that has access to one. I love challenges like this. It's what revs my motor.

What's my angle? What do I get out of it? Establishing relationships.

eddiespin likes this.
  15. OldGoldGuy

Well you can now consider us....hot and heavy.

I appreciate it. I may be going with a friend/dealer who needs some additional "muscle" (which is a joke if you could see me) at the show. If I don't, I am certainly going to take you up on that.

16. OldGoldGuy

No. I find your comment suggesting the most obvious of methods the oddity.

17. V. Kurt Bellman

TAMS (Tokens and Medals Society) has their annual business meeting at the summer ANA, I believe. These are the mondo huge serious medals guys. You might find someone who does something like keeping a database of where each one of these medals are. That is the kind of obsessives some people at ANA conventions are. This is a uniquely situated piece. It's a medal for and about medal artists. Almost like two parallel mirrors doing an infinity reflection. Or a Broadway show with a plot that involves doing a Broadway show. Oh. Wait. That last one is as common as dirt. :D

18. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Numismat likes this.
  19. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I'll remind you of your reply when I told you to give it to a coin dealer. It was, "It is not a coin," suggesting you further needed to be told, coin dealers don't just deal in coins. I'm glad that's now "obvious" to you.

20. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Possibly an obvious red-flag question here... but, why in the heck would anyone in the 19th century use cyanide to clean coins? It was widely known as a highly lethal poison since at least the 18th century.
    Probably a better reason than arsenic not to use the taste test on old coins.

21. V. Kurt Bellman

Jwt708 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted