Help with estate coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by drewsmom, Aug 13, 2016.

1. drewsmom

drewsmom New Member

My uncle passed and left us coins, Some I have read are rare, my brother took them to a dealer and he said he has never seen them either. They are france 5 centimes gold proof piedfort 1975, there are also 10 centimes gold and a very large thick 50 one which is 3oz itself. There is no marking of gold on them but we took them to a dealer who cut one in half to check the gold content, it is 14k gold. We also have 10 American eagle one ounce proof gold bullion and ten silver ones, there are way to many to list, a lot of lira and different countries, even sets of winter Olympic Chinese lake placid 1980 sterling silver.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. drewsmom

drewsmom New Member

This is a picture of the coins we inherited, very intimidating

Attached Files:

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

He cut one in half?

5. drewsmom

drewsmom New Member

Yes my brother gave him permission because there was no marking of gold on it, I guess my brother figured theres 20 of them why not.

6. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

Very sorry to hear about your Uncle! Very nice collection he left you though....and don't feel overwhelmed at all, coins are one of the easier things to deal with valuewise. All I see is a table full of fun....wish you had a trustworthy numismatist nearby, because everything on that table could be appraised in 30mins. These boards are your friend.....and eBay is a good place to sell.

7. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Found this:

France 1975 Gold 5 Centimes Piefort; Mintage only 44 coins; 8.8g of 920 fine gold; .2603oz AGW; Proof

France 1975 Gold 10 Centimes Piefort; Mintage only 39 coins; 12.9g of 920 fine gold; .3816oz AGW; Proof

France 1975 Gold 50 Francs; Hercules; Mintage 250 pieces; COA number 102; Total gold content 3.017oz AGW; Sealed in original French mint plastic; with box and COA (The one the dealer cut in half, ugh, was 14 kt? Should be 22k according to this.)

http://www.coinvault.com/france.htm

drewsmom likes this.
  8. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

If you have acess to your local library check out the latest Krause catalog for the world issues , or post photos in the appropriate forums and you should get your answers

drewsmom likes this.
  9. Garlicus

Keep researching. Definitely know what you have before you try to sell.

Since you are selling to a dealer, keep in mind that they need to make a profit in order to pay the bills...but don't let them take advantage of you.

Reputable online dealers also purchase large quantities, and their websites are a good indication of current 'sell' prices.

Www.apmex.com

http://www.apmex.com/category/11101/1-oz-gold-eagles

10. drewsmom

drewsmom New Member

Thank you. I know my uncle had a numismatist, we found a ton of paperwork, The coins that are from other countries are hard to find anywhere, it doesn't help that they are so hard to read because they are from other countries, there is a box we went through that was easy to find them on E bay that one box we determined was over 10,000 had about 20 coins in it. I know the American eagles are worth something if not the coin the gold is because its a 50 dollar gold coin 1oz fine gold

11. drewsmom

drewsmom New Member

Yes I know I went to a dealer with my sister and I had to laugh at the guy because I didn't let on to him that I already knew the prices of the coins he was looking at and he was telling us they weren't gold, I pulled out my paperwork and he didn't know what to say, I was just curious what these guys would say, I know not to sell anything to them. I have found a couple numismatist in boston, Its an hour away but may be worth the drive. How are coin dealers that also appraise?

12. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Ouch. Please don't let anyone damage any more of these!

13. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

WLH22, dwhiz and Santinidollar like this.
  14. Garlicus

If you can afford to, hold on to some of it. Personally, they would be going right into my safe for the foreseeable future. Then again, as a coin collector, I might sell some of the bullion (Gold Eagles, etc...) and buy some high quality older coins.

Looking at the picture, I would guess that you're in the neighborhood of $30k+ in coins/metals.

drewsmom likes this.
  15. Garlicus

There's a coin club in Waltham. Maybe you can reach out to them and see if they can help with information/references.

If you're in the Western MA area, maybe @tommyc03 can point you in the right direction.

There are also a clubs in the Manchester and Providence areas, as well, I'm sure.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    drewsmom likes this.
  16. drewsmom

drewsmom New Member

Thanks for all the information, I will looks into we need help and honest help. The problem with saving them Is the estate went to 7 of us so it has to be split. We did split some of the gold eagles, and like 10 other coins, the ones my uncle had 10 or more of the same, we each got them so I did put the gold eagle away for my son, and a 10 dollar and 5 dollar silver Barbados coin.

17. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Which New England state are you in? (I'm assuming NE because the Boston within an hour). With that info if you don't find it to intrusive I think many of our NE members could share some reputable local coin dealer info. I don't want to run afoul of forum rules but if you do some searching we also have a few members that offer consignment services that could potentially help you out if you were looking to sell.

drewsmom likes this.
  18. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I wouldn't let anyone cut any coins in half anymore. Ouch. Good luck!

19. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Don't sell those gold eagle proofs at bullion price. They should draw more than that.

charlietig likes this.
  20. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Agreed... And ya know, with what it sounds like you have there, you could very well try and sell that stuff here, I might be interested in some of the silver.

21. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

If you're in no hurry, take your time to find the right buyer . . . rushing will cause you to make mistakes.

Draft saved Draft deleted