Help with ebay auction within an hour

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by collectingkid, Nov 12, 2011.

1. collectingkid

collectingkid Copper Collector

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

It's at the limit I would pay for it personally. But if you really like it, just decide at what price do you really like it.

4. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

It seems there is some verdigris on it and i can't see any luster, so AU sounds just fine. What makes you think this is a MS coin?

5. collectingkid

It looks like it doesn't have scratches that an AU coin would usually have, but about the verdigris I am concerned to buy it. Thanks for pointing out the verdigris thing.

6. Taxidermist

Look into definitions of grades again. An AU coin can be scratches free.

7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Wow, luster on a coin from 1890, that'd be a fascinating find indeed. It's definitely not an ms coin but if you like it then go for it. There's already 10 bidders so be prepared to pay more than $30 bucks for it. It's a nice looking coin. good luck!!

8. Taxidermist

Well not luster you can find on a 2011 penny, but distant remains that are typical for 100 years old copper. Otherwise, how can it get the MS grade? Now here, this is MS:

1891-ms64.jpg

9. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

I see slight wear on the high points of the coin in question...
    ANY wear = NOT MS
    Scratches mean nothing. An MS-60 coin can be covered with bag marks (scratches).

10. collectingkid

I don't think I want to buy this, Ill rather get MS for $40 thanks everyone for the replies.

Dan

11. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

I don't understand why they put a verdigrised coin in a slab?!?
    That stuff is like rust, and doesn't stop just because you seal it up...
    I figure they should eithe body-bag it or offer a conservation option when corrosion is present, for the good of the coin.

12. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

I'm not good with IHC's but I saw a beauty of an 1864 no "L" with lovely color and great detail and possible a small strike thru from obverse to reverse. There were 2 small nicks on the obverse. It was raw and called MS, how much do those little nicks kill a grade..

I know, no pics don't help but it is at the dealer and it was running 125.00 so I didn't attempt to take the chance.. All 4 diamonds were clear and the color was great.. If I bought it, there are no returns..

13. Taxidermist

I might be wrong, but someone in some older thread mentioned that verdigris could have grown on a slabbed coin, after it was slabbed. So maybe this is what happened in this case as well.

14. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

Yes, I just remember seeing that post in the last few days if I'm not mistaken..

Draft saved Draft deleted