help with coin grading! 1940d and 1940s quarters

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mhenryfishing, Dec 26, 2013.

1. mhenryfishing

mhenryfishing Member

Hey guys,
    I'm relatively new to collecting. I didn't start until December of 2012. I mainly collect 90% US silver and ended up with 227 ounces of silver total in 2013. Anyway, I won 2 estate auctions in the past few months that had better than average coins. They are all ungraded. I'm not even sure if they are worth grading, so I need your opinions. One of the auctions happened to be the coins from a local coin dealer who passed away a few months ago. I got a really good deal on a lot of silver coins.

One of the lots had 29 uncirculated or proof Washington quarters ranging from 1939-1964. I won this lot for $65.00. In this lot there was a 1939P, a 1940D, a 1940 S, and (2) 1940P. The dealer had his coin grade opinions written on each 2 x 2. They all are MS60 or above, but I know this is not certain.

I think the best coin I got was the toned 1940D...(picture below) followed by the 1940S which is also in the picture. Sorry for the picture quality

I need some help with the coin grading process...

Is it worth me getting any of these coins graded?
    If so, what service or company should I use?
    I'm not a member of any coin service or company, so what would be the cheapest way for me to get 5-10 coins graded?
    What should I expect on approximate turn around time?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

The '40-D looks ok and is probably close to a MS-60 but I can't see the surfaces to give you a close grade , The '40-S , I really can't tell what the grade is as there's too much glare on the coin . Can you take larger straight on pics .

4. mhenryfishing

mhenryfishing Member

I tried to retake pictures of the 1940 D and 1940 S. I don't have a good setup for taking pictures of coins. These pictures were taken with my Ipad.
    Thanks,
    Matt

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  5. mhenryfishing

mhenryfishing Member

I also have two 1940 P's that are in the same condition. Here are pictures of one of them.

Are any of these coins worth getting graded in your opinion? Will it add enough value to make it worth it?

Attached Files:

6. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

The pictures are a bit difficult to evaluate effectively (I know you are trying, so don't feel bad ^.- getting a good picture set up at first is difficult.)

I am confident the 1940-D is AU though. It could be glare but I believe to detect slight wear on the high points of Washington's hair and a couple other areas.

The 1940-S is a little more difficult... I do believe she is MS. If I had to give a ballpark, my extremely rusty ballpark figure based off the pictures provided would be in the MS-63 range. A few marks around the frame and then on the eagle. She also appears to have a weaker strike (which I believe is common for San Fran mint.)

Hope this helps. :)

7. Phoenix21

The 1940 plain I would put at AU as well.

I looked up some ballpark figure prices for you, and from what I can tell it wouldn't be worth grading them - especially if they are in the AU range. Your real prize would be that 1940-D if it was mintstate, however unless you could capture slightly better pictures I stand by my sentiment of it being AU.

8. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I'm close to Phoenix on this one. The 40-D looks like a high AU toned. The 40-S is a really nice coin. I would put it in the MS-63 or 64 range. It is a little difficult to tell with the light glare on the obverse. The reverse looks like a MS-64 to me though.

mhenryfishing likes this.
  9. mhenryfishing

mhenryfishing Member

Thanks for you help phoenix! I have always struggled when it comes to taking pictures of coins.. I will try to get better pictures of the 1940 D before I gamble with sending it off...

10. Phoenix21

No problem :) I circled in the following picture the areas that led me to believe your 1940-D was AU. Just the slightest bits of wear on the high points. She is a superb example though. If you could get better pictures without causing any damage to her, that would be great. ;) The jump between AU and MS is substantial.

I hope this helps.

Attached Files:

11. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

After seeing your new pics , I agree with the others . The S coin is a really nice MS in around 63-64 , and your D coin has really nice toning and is technically a high AU . And believe me your 2nd pics aren't that bad , they're better than mine any way .

Draft saved Draft deleted