Help With China, Provincial Coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by JickyD, Feb 18, 2019.

1. JickyD

JickyD Active Member

I'm having a hard time positively ID'ing this small coin from China. My best guess is it's a 5 cent coin from the Chihli Province. It's about 19 mm and weights around 3 grams. The NGC website though says the 5 cent coin weights 1.8 grams and doesn't give a diameter. The third chinese character on the bottom is also different that other pictures I've seen. Any help would be appreciated. IMG_7879.JPG IMG_7880.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I'm confused to be honest - the denomination says 7.2 candareens which means that it should be around 2.6 grams. 3 grams seems to be too heavy.

JickyD likes this.
  4. JickyD

JickyD Active Member

When I weighed it at 3 grams I was using my kitchen scale at home used for food. I took it to work today and weighed it on an analytical balance and it came right in at 2.6 grams. My kitchen scale rounds to the nearest gram. I also learned it's a 10 cent coin, not 5 cents, which 2.6 grams is the correct weight.

Thanks for helping! Much appreciated.

5. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Nice! I believe it's genuine - might want to have it graded. Don't get others low ball you if you are planning to sell it. I believe it's easily more than 200+ dollars, if not higher. I don't recalling it for sale recently.

Numismat and JickyD like this.
  6. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Agree on genuine, but I'm pretty sure it's a $5,000+ coin in that condition. Look at this VF that hit $3k. This one looks XF-AU :greedy:
    http://www.coinfactswiki.com/wiki/Chihli_1899_(year_25)_10_cents_Y-70

Major congrats @JickyD !

gxseries and JickyD like this.
  7. JickyD

JickyD Active Member

Where would one even begin to sell something like this?

8. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

If it is as valuable as some think, your first step should be to get it authenticated and encapsulated by NGC or PCGS. Selling will then be much easier (perhaps via an auction house like Heritage or Stack's Bowers).

Edited to remove Great Collections as a recommended auction house for uncommon world coins.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    JickyD likes this.
  9. Numismat

JickyD likes this.
  10. JickyD

JickyD Active Member

IMG_E8438.JPG IMG_8441.JPG IMG_8440.JPG Well...here's the encapsulated coin. I paid PCGS to have it "restored." I think they did a pretty good job of it. I was worried that those scratches on the reverse would make it come back cleaned. At least it's authentic. What do you think the cleaned designation does to the cost of a coin like this?

Ag76 likes this.
  11. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Tough one. I personally preferred to have left it as it is. Nothing was wrong with it.

It's still a rather scarce coin at minimum.

12. jgenn

Congratulations! From your earlier posts, it sounds like you want to sell it. I think we'd all like to know which venue you choose for the sale.

13. Numismat

Unfortunate that it's a details coin, but still sharp details. Being that a straight AU goes for $5K+, I'd imagine yours is worth at least half that if not a bit more. It still has pretty good eye appeal as far as cleaned coins go.

JickyD likes this.
  14. jgenn

JickyD likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted