Help with Caracalla denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gogili1977, May 22, 2020.

1. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Hello, I bought this Caracalla denarius from local collector based on the feeling that I had not seen such reverses on his denarii.
    Obv. ANTONINVS PIVS AVG
    Rev. PM TRP XIIII COS III PP
    Weight 2.9 gr.
    image.jpg

I couldn't find a denarius like this on acsearch.info neither on wildwinds.com. If anyone can tell me more about this denarius, what is his RIC number.
    I know that this reverse is common for Alexander Severus and Septimius denarii.

Post anything you think is relevant. Thanks.

DonnaML, Bing and Johndakerftw like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

The reverse depicts Annona, standing left, holding corn ears in right hand over modius and cornucopia in left. It's not listed in RIC for TR XIIII. Furthermore, according to RIC, by the time of his 14th tribunician (A.D. 211) he had already been awarded the title Britannicus, and all the obverse inscriptions on his denarii ended in BRIT. Possibly an ancient imitation?

svessien and gogili1977 like this.
  4. gsimonel

My example from the following year:
    [​IMG]
    Rome mint, A.D. 212
    Obv: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT
    Rev: P M TR P XV COS III P P - Hercules, standing left, holding branch and club with lion skin
    RIC 192
    19mm, 3.8g.

DonnaML, furryfrog02, Bing and 2 others like this.
  5. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

6. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Here is my coin from the same year (with Pax on the reverse instead - I do not see a listing in RIC for your reverse with this legend)

Anc-09b-R3-k0211-Caracalla-DE-184.jpg
    Imperial Rome
    Caracalla, r. 198-217 A.D. (211 A.D.)
    Rome Mint, AR Denarius, 20.28mm x 2.8 grams
    Obv.: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT. Laureate bust, right
    Rev.: P M TR P XIIII COS III P P. Pax, draped, advancing left, holding branch in right hand and sceptre in left hand
    Ref.: SRCV 6824, RIC IV-1 Caracalla 184, p. 238.
    Note: My First Ancient Coin

That Caracalla is sporting a beard on mine, but he looks youthful on yours, is troubling...

7. gogili1977

8. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

They have been cast from something and the coin itself doesn't really make sense so I suspect that it is a modern fake.

Andres2 likes this.
  9. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Something about that obverse seems very off to me. I'm terrible at using the search function on fakes database so I have nothing to back it up. That is just my gut feeling.

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Whether or not this coin is cast does not really provide any comfort since many fakes have been made struck from fake dies that were either original engravings or transferred from other coins (sometimes genuine and sometimes from other fakes). I suppose it is always possible that dies could have been mismatched by the official mint or by a counterfeiter in the time of Caracalla but the best guess here seems (to me) to be a modern fake from mechanically reproduced dies. I wish I knew more about the process of making copy dies from coins using modern technology and, especially, using methods that could have been done in Roman times. The number of such coins that combine incorrect obverse and reverse types make me wonder if the process destroys the opposite side of the coin making it easier to mismatch types. A match would then require having two of the same coin to make a set. Did the maker of this coin want to make a rare and more valuable unlisted coin or was the intent just to make a denarius and not pay much attention to details?

11. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

I normally don't reply on the fake/genuine topics. However, this coin looks pressed to me. There is a clear rim, both on the obv. and rev., and the field looks rather smooth. That being said, the flow lines in the legend are rather convincing of a worn die.

12. AngelDeath

AngelDeath Well-Known Member

Looks purple on my monitor lol but I would say its authentic.

13. gsimonel

That's from lithium contamination of the silver. Clearly, this coin was made by a manic-depressive.

svessien, Kentucky and NewStyleKing like this.
  14. Alwin

Alwin Well-Known Member

15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Can you show us a shot of the edge?

16. gogili1977

Of course, but tomorow morning, I can't take a nice picture of the edge with my phone, it's easier in daylight.

Kentucky likes this.
  17. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

The portrait is too young for the TRP number. As others have shown, he was bearded by TRP XIIII. Here is another example of what Caracalla looked like at TRP XIIII.

Caracalla2FORTRED2047.jpg

So, something is wrong with the OP coin. Mismatched obverses and reverses are common on ancient fakes. However, it may simply be a modern fake. Looking at the metal (and only in an image, not the coin itself in good light), I'd guess it is a modern fake.

Andres2, Bing and furryfrog02 like this.
  18. gogili1977

19. gogili1977

20. gogili1977

Thanks for the comments, so that I don't always doubt the coin, I exchanged the coin for this Pius denarius today.

Obv: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P XXIII. Laureate head right. Rev: FELIC SAEC COS IIII. Felicitas standing left, leaning upon column to right and holding caduceus.
    RIC 298. Weight: 3.2 g.

image.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted