Help with Byzantine Anonymous Follis

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gavin Richardson, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Still cataloguing this university gift. Here's a Byzantine anonymous follis. I'm guessing it's Class A3 just by poking around, but I don't have enough experience with these really to classify this one conclusively and date it, or to know the ruling authority. Some help from some Byzantine collectors would be appreciated.

SIZE: 25.78 mm
    WEIGHT: 9.56 g
    DIE AXIS: 180°

34 BYZANTINE CHRIST KING OF KINGS.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

4. Gavin Richardson

That's a great read and guide, Chris. Thank you! From your article, it seems like I have two choices: Class A2 or A3. I would guess A2 because it's more common and has scrollwork below (and above?) the reverse legend. But this coin is only 25.8 mm--far short of the 33 mm common among the A2s, and far lighter at 10 g. Indeed, your Class A3 example is 29mm and 10 grams--closer to my coin. So it seems that style would argue for A2, but size and weight would argue A3. I'd be grateful for any additional input on this one.

5. medoraman

The delineation between A2 and A3 is not a clear one. I have seen A3's with scrollwork at times, and I have seen clipped A2's. My guess would be a transitional A3 type. Not rare, just a little scarcer.

Gavin Richardson likes this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I agree with the unclear delineation statement but most you see will be 15g or more so A2 or 10g or less so A3. When you get one that is 12.5g, you can start worrying about the matter.

Mine:
    17.0g A2
    rz0490bb1107.jpg

15.73g A2
    rz0495fd2416.jpg

11.7g (I'm calling it A3)
    rz0500bb2288.jpg

10.88g A3
    rz0505fd3399.jpg
    Interesting material on these:
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Anonymous Follis

Possibly more than you wanted to know unless you want 51 different coins:
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Anonymous Byzantine Class A Folles

7. Gavin Richardson

Thanks Doug. I'm going to catalog it as Class A3, but I will note these complicating classification issues in the notes.

BTW, that Forum guide to anonymous folles was quite detailed, and I was happy to narrow down my "Grierson" ornamentation number to some variant of #40, only to see that these ornaments applied to "A2 and A3" folles. So unless I'm reading that table incorrectly, the ornamentation table doesn't really help differentiate between A2s and A3s. :-(

Screenshot 2017-03-01 13.45.10.png

Bing likes this.
  8. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

The best reference is the Dumbarton oaks catalog, there are dozens of these types. Here is my 39/40 which they call an A2.
    b133.jpg
    Anonymous under Constantine VIII/ Basil II
    976 to 1035 AD
    AE Follis, Class A2 Var. 39/40
    Obvs: IC XC, bust of Christ wearing nimbus and holding book of gospels.
    Revs: +IhSЧS XRISTЧS bASILЄЧ bASILЄ, in four lines.
    22x24mm, 5.7g

9. Gavin Richardson

Arrrg! I thought the weight settled the matter of A2 vs. A3; that's an awfully small coin to be an A2, but who can argue with Dumbarton Oaks? Maybe I'll just call mine a Class A2.5!

Upon further review, your coin might be that small because it's clipped or something. Not much of a Gospel book there...

Severus Alexander likes this.
  10. medoraman

Most likely, while they were winding down A2 production the same economics that would subsequently make A3's smaller were affecting the empire. So I always have assumed small A2s to be the last ones minted before the new A3s were struck.

11. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

I would call it an A2 based on the current publications and wouldn't get caught up in the numbering system. Better to know the different types if one day you come across an L, M, or N.

12. Gavin Richardson

OK, I'm going with an A2 then. But definitely some comments about the difficulties of classification will go in the notes. Byzantine indeed. Thanks to all for contributing to this thread. I got an education today.

13. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Very helpful information in this thread, thanks! Looks like mine is A3, ornamentation type 47. I always thought it was A2! Embarrassed to say I haven't recorded a weight, and I don't have access to the coin right now. I think I weighed it at some point... it's pretty chunky, maybe 12g? Getting that weight is now high on my list!

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 2.09.50 PM.png

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The coin was obviously clipped down from an A2 but long enough after they were current that 5.7 was acceptable. I would imaging a private party did the cutting since the official mint would have overstruck the cut piece an made it something like the Class I below which is struck on something (what?).
    rz0560bb2033.jpg

15. Gavin Richardson

That's a beautiful coin, SA. Rarely do I see one of these folles that detailed and well struck.

Fantastic obverse portrait of Kenny Loggins.

16. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Thanks!! I've had that one for a couple decades (only cost me $50 at the time), and have always liked it a lot. Kenny's lookin' kinda stern, though, isn't he?

Draft saved Draft deleted