Help with Brooklyn Bridge Medal/Token

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Traci281, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Traci281

Traci281 New Member

Hi Everyone! I was wondering if someone could help tell me what this medal/token is. The name B. Soley is on the token directly above the Eight Wonder of the World and underneath the image of the bridge. I didn't even notice it at first. The research I have done tells me that B. Soley made the first steam powered coin press. I may have misunderstood the article. It would be nice to find out what this coin is worth but I'm more interested to find out what it is. The pictures I have seen of the opening of the Brooklyn Bridge tokens don't look like this one. I'm very new to coin collecting and would appreciate any help. Thanks so much!:)

IMG_2326.jpg IMG_2324.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Hi Traci, welcome to CT. According to internet sources George B. Soley purchased the steam press from the U.S. Mint when they took it out of service in 1875, but didn't invent it. Soley was a Philadelphia diesinker who took it on the road to numerous fairs and special events over the next 30 years. Apparently he cut dies to commerate the different events and sold souvenir medals struck on his press. His appearance at the opening ceremonies for the Brooklyn Bridge in 1883 is documented, so your medal is legitimate. I don't know the value of it, but will look around and see if there's any recent record of one being sold. Very nice medal Traci.

Bruce

4. Traci281

Traci281 New Member

Thanks for the information Bruce! It's nice to know the history behind these coins/medals. Can't wait to find out about the others I have!

5. BRandM

I'm looking forward to seeing them. By the way, are you a medal collector? If not, what do you collect?

Bruce

6. Traci281

Traci281 New Member

Actually I was kind of thrown into coins. My dad had a huge coin collection and he gave me around 300 coins to sell on Ebay or whatever I wanted to do with them. I started selling the Lincolns, Buffalos, Liberties and so forth. I didn't know anything about the other coins he had so I started doing some research and it really interested me. I love history anyway and to think that someone a hundred or more years ago had this coin is facinating to me. Every time I go to visit my parents he gives me more coins. I just got back from a trip down there and have probably 20 tokens/medals that I have no clue about. It's fun to find out so thanks for your help!
    Traci

7. BRandM

Be careful about selling anything else until you have a good handle on what you have. Even seemingly common coins or tokens sometimes have rare varieties that sell for multiples over the common variety. If you have any doubts please post your questions here. It still amazes me the depth of knowledge that the members here have, even on things you might think no one would be familiar with. We love questions and pictures, so don't hesitate to post either. By the look of the pics in your first post, you have the picture "thing" down pretty well. Good clear images are critical in determining grade, variety, and other details of any coin, medal, token or piece of currency. Good luck.

Bruce

8. Traci281

Traci281 New Member

Thanks Bruce! I appreciate all the help. Will be posting more pictures soon. Do you collect US Coins as well or just medals?
    Traci

9. BRandM

Actually I don't collect medals per se, but do have a small collection of medals issued by coin clubs, dealers, and coin organizations. Over the years I've pretty much collected anything U.S. including merchant tokens and counterstamped coins. Nowadays I research and collect counterstamps, half cents, and a bit of obsolete and Civil War currency. At one time I collected wooden money issued by numismatic organizations and individuals in the hobby. Although I don't anymore, I still have my collection of nearly 5,000 examples. It all keeps me out of trouble...and broke. But it's my only "vice", so that can't be bad.

Bruce

10. Traci281

Traci281 New Member

That is so neat. I have a counterstamped coin on ebay right now. I tried to find the name on the coin but no luck. The coin itself isn't worth that much but I have read about counterstamps being more valuable than the coin. I just found a master metal scrip from the tennessee railroad and coal company that I think is really cool. I have been reading about scrip usage in the early 1900's. Really neat. I also found an 1863 Civil War token. It's a storecard for Benjamin and Herrick fruit dealers in Albany, NY. Those are the things that I find so interesting. I'll have to post some pictures. I don't really care what they are worth, I just think they are a neat piece of history!
    Traci

11. 1066merlin

1066merlin ANA#R3157534

That is a very cool medal/token Traci, now you have us wondering what other goodies you have. Lets see more photos!

The funny part about this one is you can sell someone the Brooklyn Bridge, I know, I know, stupid joke, somebody had to say it right?

12. BRandM

Geez Mark, that's really bad.

Traci: If you have any more counterstamps please post them. I'm always looking for new ones for my collection if you want to sell them.

Bruce

13. 1066merlin

1066merlin ANA#R3157534

LOL yes it was sorry about that.

14. Traci281

Traci281 New Member

IMG_2344.jpg IMG_2345.jpg That is pretty bad but I agree it had to be said.

Bruce: I'm not sure if I have anymore counterstamps. As I go through the coins IMG_2340.jpg I will keep you in mind.

Here are a couple of pictures of the coins that I really like. Probably because I know the history behind them. IMG_2342.jpg

15. Traci281

Traci281 New Member

IMG_2339.jpg IMG_2338.jpg Here is another medal that I am trying to find out about. I may post a new thread on the What's it Worth page, but do you all know anything about it?

16. 1066merlin

1066merlin ANA#R3157534

WOW Traci,, those are really cool! Bruce is the man for counterstamps, I know very little about any of these. I'm sure someone will chime in and let you know. Thanks for posting the photos, the "Grant" token is awesome!
    If I were you I wouldn't sell anymore of your Dads coins unless you really need the cash. It's starting to look like you have a very interesting collection. It would be a shame to let them all go.
    Do you have anymore photos?!

Thanks!
    Mark

17. BRandM

The Civil War token is listed in the references (Fuld) as NY010A-4a. In copper, which this one appears to be, is an R-2 (2,000-5,000 pieces known) and very common. If it were brass it would have a rarity rating of 8 (only 5-10 known) and much more valuable. The seond token is coal scrip which I don't collect, so can't help you with it. The Grant token, which looks period, would be considered non-contemporary (a token minted after 1864). I don't believe this particular one is listed in Fuld or is documented by the Civil War Token Society. It really is a great piece and might have some value to it. Mark is right Traci, you have some very cool stuff. I can't wait to see more.

Bruce

18. Traci281

Traci281 New Member

I do have more photos and will post some later today. I will definately hold onto the unusual ones for now. I think they are cool! I am going to sell the Lincolns and Buffalos though. Don't really need the cash that bad but am not really into those and I know someone else will appreciate them. Thanks Mark!

19. Traci281

Traci281 New Member

Here are a couple more tokens that I am clueless about. Haven't really researched the Johnson one, but is that a Civil War symbol on the back? Not sure about the other one either. I tried to find out something about it but only found history on the actual event. I think it's pretty neat though, with Washington's picture on the coin. Very detailed. Any thoughts?

IMG_2347.jpg IMG_2348.jpg IMG_2352.jpg IMG_2351.jpg

20. Traci281

Traci281 New Member

What is the Fuld? Is that a reference just for Civil War items? Is it a book or can it be referenced online?

21. 1066merlin

1066merlin ANA#R3157534

What Lincolns do you have, You may have a few keepers there too! Same with the Buffalos!

Draft saved Draft deleted