Help with Ancient Eastern attribution

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by kevin McGonigal, Nov 21, 2019.

1. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Need some assistance here. Purchase from coin store junk box. I am guessing maybe an Indo-something, possibly Bactria, Scythian, Elymais. Any help, especially on the inscriptions appreciated. Thanks IMG_1189[2543]Indo-something.jpg IMG_1190[2545]Indo something rev..jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clonecommanderavgvsvs

Clonecommanderavgvsvs Well-Known Member

Top one looks azes I/II and the bottom looks Bactrian

Deacon Ray and kevin McGonigal like this.
  4. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Bottom is a copper tetradrachm of "Soter Megas" now identified as the Kushan king Vima Takto

5. kevin McGonigal

Yes, it definitely is that coin. from the images I found on the net the one I bought seems to be of good style and not tooo heavily worn. Still looking for confirmation of the smaller one.

6. kevin McGonigal

Yes, right you are. According to what I was able to find on this coin it is a drachma (mine weighs in at 2.5 grams) and seems upon closer examination to be a darkly toned silver, though it may be debased silver. The second coin, the one correctly attributed above as a bronze tetradrachma of the Kushan King Vima Takto, weighs in at 8.5 grams. I have a Bactrian drachma from the Third century BC but it does not look enough like this one for me to have recognized it.

Having paid $10 for the two of them and seeing what they are selling for on a couple of coin sites I can say that just attributing these coins has been worth the $10 investment. Thanks to both of you for pointing me in the right directions.

7. Clonecommanderavgvsvs

Clonecommanderavgvsvs Well-Known Member

No problem I don’t really know much about these but I’ve seen them around enough

kevin McGonigal likes this.
  8. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

kevin McGonigal and 7Calbrey like this.
  9. kevin McGonigal

I have seen the tetradrachmas at shows but did not know that they made drachmas.

10. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

The smaller coins should be this one, or similar. Don't have access to my library at the moment, so I can't give you a more precise answer...

Indo-Scythian: Azilizes (ca. 85-45/35 BCE) AR Tetradrachm (Senior 50.1T)

Obv: BAΣIΛEΩΣ BAΣIΛEΩN MEΓAΛOY AZIΛIΣOY; King on horseback right, holding spear
    Rev: (Majarajasa rajarajasa mahatasa Ayalishasa); Athena standing left, holding shield with aegis and thunderbolt; monograms in fields

[​IMG]

11. kevin McGonigal

The features of the coin are much more recognizable as a tetra, especially yours with such little wear. Do you know if the silver of the drachma was good silver or was it heavily debased?

Draft saved Draft deleted