Help with an Electrum of Uncertain Origin and Design

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ana Silverbell, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

I saw this coin at a coin shop and the owner gave me permission to photograph it for research purposes. I didn't do too well photographing it but I think there is enough for someone more knowledgeable than me (most of the world) to ID the coin.

I did visit Asia Minor Coins and Wildwinds but I could not come to any conclusion other than the mint is uncertain, and the design is uncertain but it appears to be Ionian. Anyone out there seen this coin? Any help would be appreciated.

https://www.asiaminorcoins.com/gallery/index.php

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ Elecrtum 1.jpg Electrum 2.jpg

panzerman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tartanhill

tartanhill Well-Known Member

Looks to be Indian and not Ionian but also not electrum but silver.

4. Ana Silverbell

The customer who sold the coin to shop is an ancient collector and he had written "electrum" on the 2x2. I should have made that part of my query since I have no knowledge of electrum coinage. I surmised it was Ionian only because it looked closest to early Ionian coins but I found no match.

I will look under Indian ancient coins and see what I can find. Thank you tartanhill for your input.

panzerman likes this.
  5. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I have some of these....
    The coin is a AV debased Stater from Kashmir circa 500-700AD. These coins are referred to as gold / but contain from 5-24% gold.

Ana Silverbell and Ryro like this.
  6. Ana Silverbell

Thanks to all your help, this coin is indeed Indian.* My best guess is this coin is from the Kidarites of Punjab. Anyone agree?

Obverse has King Vigrahatunga standing at altar to his left, and facing left, sacrificing at the altar. Brahmi legend under arm: Kidara, additional letter ka at left.

Reverse is Ardochsho (Lakshmi) seated/standing. Brahmi legend at right: Sri Vigraha, at left: tunga

Coin is circa A.D. 700
    Weight: 7.77 grams
    Diameter: 20 mm
    Die Axis: 11 o'clock
    Reference: "MAC 3650"
    Recent Sale: $195
    _____
    *I learn something new everyday at CoinTalk

panzerman likes this.
  7. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

In Friedberg's "Gold coinage" these are listed under kidarite rulers of Kashmir/ which is in the Punjab District.

Draft saved Draft deleted