Help with a Geta coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Makanudo, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Makanudo

Makanudo Well-Known Member

I bought this little coin which looks like its been cast.
    It is 20mm and 4.66gr.
    Could it be a copy from a colony and what does the reverse depicts?
    Thanks for your help.

IMG_20180220_204228.jpg IMG_20180220_204335.jpg

Andres2, Theodosius and Bing like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

It's from Nicopolis in Moesia Inferior, a leaping lion. Im busy today, but that should get you in the right direction.

4. Makanudo

5. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

The coin looks legit to me. I don't think it's a cast copy.

Makanudo likes this.
  6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

The lion looks something like this one from Septimius Severus from the nearby city of Philippopolis:

Severus Philippopolis.jpg

7. Trajanwinger

Trajanwinger New Member

AE bimetal orichalcum and bronze

8. Makanudo

@Trajanwinger

Hello,

Are you referring to the composition of OP coin?

9. gsimonel

I believe that bronze is a mixture of copper and tin, while orichalcum is a mix of copper and zinc.

Makanudo, randygeki and Alegandron like this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The OP coin is Nicaea in Bithynia but I am not clear on the obverse so I am less than sure of Geta. The reverse legend is laid out like this elephant:
    [​IMG]
    CNG 160, Lot: 154. Estimate $75.
    Sold for $52. This amount does not include the buyer’s fee.

BITHYNIA, Nicaea. Geta. As Caesar, AD 198-209. Æ 15mm (2.28 g). Bare-headed, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind / NIKAIEWN, elephant standing right. RG pg. 463, 516; BMC Pontus pg. 166, 88; SNG Copenhagen ; SNG von Aulock -. VF, dark brown patina, some cleaning scratches revealing bare metal.

CNG also sold a lion coin but it was right facing, walking and had the last two letters under.

11. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Geta, silver teradrachm of Tyre, 14.424 g
    Sear 2900: Greek Imperial Coins & their Values, 1982, p. 274 Bellinger 86, 300
    Pounds Ster.: 110.

I have to find the auction flip to see where I got it from ca. 2012.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NLL, 7Calbrey, Johndakerftw and 5 others like this.
  12. Buffo Marinus

Buffo Marinus Member

So, "bi-metal" with ancients just refers to a combination of more then one alloy and doesn't refer to the bi-metal assembly used on many modern coin flans (eg: the one Euro)?

13. gsimonel

I'm not sure what Trajanwinger meant by "bi-metal." There were no bi-metal ancient coins that I'm aware of. That's a fairly modern arrangement.

Orichalcum is an alloy--just like bronze--not a combination of alloys.

14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

There are ancient medallions which are bimetallic. Here's a spectacular example from CNG's archives:

[​IMG]

If you want to stretch the definition you could include gilded coins from Axum. Example from CNG's archives:

[​IMG]

15. Buffo Marinus

Buffo Marinus Member

TIF, Thanks for posting an image of that fine example of an ancient Roman "bi-metal" medallion. Definitely a spectacular piece with a visually distinct boundary between one alloy and another. Up until this time I thought bi-metal coinage was strictly a modern invention!

Rob

FNQ, Au

Roman Collector likes this.
  16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I hope everyone at all interested in this subject read the CNG write-up for this coin linked by TIF. I remember thinking at the time that someone got a real deal on this one which failed to meet estimate. The description included, " Good VF, untouched bi-colored patina with central section of black-green and outer ring of lighter green, minute traces of encrustation in some of the devices." It sold for about the price of a new Honda I bought about that time and walking would have done me good. :happy: I have to wonder how many medallion types were made and lost to time. Not all were bimetallic.
    See:
    https://www.cngcoins.com/Search.asp...1&SEARCH_IN_CONTAINER_TYPE_ID_4=1&VIEW_TYPE=0

Roman Collector likes this.
  17. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Found the flip: It's from Tom Cederlind, lot # 169, silver tetradrachm 26mm 14.41 g. possibly a 2012 or 2013 sale. I'll go by my wt as I was laid off and quite in need of the extra 0.014 grams of what looks like to be 50% or 60% silver. Also I use an Ohaus Analytical scale calibrated against a reference weight set.

Regarding the CNG bimetallic medallion, what would be really interesting these days is to use an XRFS and try to get a detailed composition of each of the 2 different metals.

Draft saved Draft deleted