Help with 2005 toonie -fake or wrong planchet

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by countryboy, Jan 18, 2013.

1. countryboy

countryboy Member

Can you help me fiquire out if this toonie is a fake . The diameter -thicknes-and center is the correct size . But the weight is 7.80 gr and if i'am correct it should be 7.30gr . what do i do with it if its fake . good-2.jpg good-1.jpg good-3.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Looks strange to me, but I'm not an expert when it comes to Canadian coins. Right, these "older" $2 coins should have a weight of 7.3 g, so yours is a little too heavy. Also, the "rim" where the ring and the pill meet looks strange. I would check if that piece is magnetic the way a regular coin is magnetic. Maybe try a "sound check" too - drop this one, and one that seems to be OK, on a table or the floor, and listen to any sound differences ...

Christian

4. countryboy

countryboy Member

Hi chrisild . yes it is magnetic and when i drop it on a hard surface it has a lower ring tone then a 2004 or 2006 . i dont have another 2005 to compare it with , thanks for you answer.

5. DClayville

DClayville Member

Details look a bit "mushy" Doesn't look right to me.if it's 7.8g I'd have to say a fake.

6. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

Why would anyone try and fake a $2.00 coin? The edge looks funny I have one but do not remember what the edge is supposed to look like. I mean your only talking 5/10 of a gram right? I just do not see why unless they made a loony and someone tried to make it a tooney but the looneys are Copper Right?

7. clorox

clorox Member

The only toonie I have with me is from 1996, so they may have changed the pattern, but the edge reeding doesn't match yours. Mine has sections of reeding and sections of smooth edges, while it looks like yours has reeding all the way around.

8. abuckmaster147

9. abuckmaster147

I have a online friend in Ontario that I have never meet personaly he sent these to me cause he knew me and my grand son collect I got them for face plus a buck or 2 ship.

canadian 001.jpg canadian 002.jpg

10. countryboy

countryboy Member

does have markings of the clear area but still has the reeding stamped weaker

11. abuckmaster147

I just took a good look at mine and there is defiantly something wrong with yours??? The main thing I saw was My 96 the queen has a crown on her head, Why would they do away with that in 10 years? Do you know or can you tell by the Canadian mint if they changed that other wise you either have an error or a fake. And I do not see why anyone would fake one. Unless it was a garage experiment.

12. countryboy

countryboy Member

Hi buckmaster the bust of the Queen was changed on all canadian coins
    . Giving her more up to date look with out the crown. you will find that in 2003 is when the change over took place .,and you will find crowned and uncrowned .

13. Tyler

Tyler Active Member

Because of the exact reason you said. Nobody would suspect it were a fake. If it costs $.50 to make a $2 coin that's a huge profit.

14. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

I thought I read somewhere recently that the $2 coin was the most difficult to duplicate well because it was bimetallic. Basically, the only cheap way to do it involved a temporary painting of one of the sections to make it appear bimetallic, when in fact it was unimetallic. Needless to say the paint would rub off. I'll look for a link but I can't start to think where I would've read that unless it was here on CT. That being said, I would guess it's real.

15. countryboy

countryboy Member

I have been going over my toonies from 1996 to 2006 and i noticed that the outer rim is wider and that the center looks to be a bit darker yellow. just a guess here could the center be gold .

16. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Counterfeiting such coins does not make much sense, as the possible profit is not that high. And yet some do it, because most people will hardly ever check the coins thoroughly. Here in the euro area for example 186,000 counterfeited coins were seized in 2010; about three fourths of them being "€2" pieces. However, the total number of (50 ct, €1, €2) coins in circulation is about 16 billion ...

Yes, a bimetallic coin is harder to counterfeit. But one of the reasons why the Canadian $2 coin was recently "revamped" (apart from using less expensive material) was to make that even more difficult. :)

Christian

17. jjack

jjack Captain Obvious

To add to it Bi-metallic are quite expensive to produce unless done in mass production one of the reasons most limited NCLTs are rarely Bi-metallic..

18. abuckmaster147

[TABLE="width: 100%"]

[HR][/HR]

Long story short: there are fake toonies going around (why? Save TTC fares maybe?). The media reported the 'tell' is that the Queen on the fakes has a larger head and does not have a crown. The mint had to remind people that the Queen has not had a crown since 2003. Pretty sad.

Quote:
    TORONTO - The Royal Canadian Mint wants Canadians to know that the Queen does in fact have two faces.

The mint issued a statement this week saying although some toonies appear to have a different portrait of the Queen on them, that doesn't necessarily mean they are funny money.

The confusion appears to stem from a recent media report in Toronto that some fake toonies were circulating in the city.

The report said there were several ways to tell a fake coin from the real thing but pointed out that on the fakes, the Queen is not wearing her crown and her head appears larger than in older $2 coins.

Alex Reeves, communications manager for the mint, said that may have caused some people to suspect that any large-headed, crownless Queen signalled a fake.

"The comment was made that the large, uncrowned portrait was a fake coin and the smaller effigy was a genuine coin," Reeves said in an interview from Ottawa on Friday.

"That led people to believe that all coins with the large effigy were not genuine."

After receiving a number of inquiries from the public, the mint went as far as issuing a statement on the matter.

"Since 1996, Canadian two-dollar circulation coins have been produced with two different images of the Queen: a smaller crowned portrait (from 1996 to 2002) and a larger uncrowned portrait introduced in 2003 to update the image of Her Majesty on all Canadian coinage," it said.

"This last effigy has appeared on all Canadian circulation coins (one-cent, five-cent, 10-cent, 25-cent, 50-cent, one-dollar and two-dollar denominations) produced since June 2003."

"All circulation coins bearing these effigies are genuine and are to be accepted as legal tender in Canada," the statement said.

Reeves said Canadians should rest assured that the country's coinage system is "very secure and of a very high quality."

"Coin counterfeiting is extremely, extremely rare. It's very difficult to do. It's very labour-intensive -- it requires a great deal of expertise," he said.

"There's some real reasons why you don't see counterfeit coins in general. It's something that's very hard to do and that doesn't really happen to the same extent that bank notes are reproduced for counterfeit purposes."

He added that anyone with questions about currency can check the mint's website at http://www.mint.ca.

[/TABLE]

19. abuckmaster147

also!!
    In 2005 the RCMP busted the "Montreal Mint", a medal shop that was minting twoonies (dated 2004 and 2005)

These fakes are lightly struck, weight less that 7g (variable). the core is easy to pop out and off course, there are many differences in the devices.

The fakes were distributed in Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. The last I saw circulating was in 2007

This could be why your weight is off. I found 2 dif varity's myself

Same for the 2006 toonie, discovering 4 circulation varieties

20. DClayville

DClayville Member

Look at the inner piece from about 7 o'clock to 2 o'clock it has a slight rim.also the fit is a bit off.On the polar bear side it has (from the photo)a much more pronounced gap.A real coin has a very tight fit.

21. t-y

t-y New Member

The coin is in fact a criminal forgery made in the "Montreal Mint", a scheme busted by the RCMP but not before more than 200,000 of these coins were distributed.

These forgeries weight from 6.60 to 8.00g The rings are made from different alloys of iron or nickel while the cores are brass.

Originally the intent was to fool cashiers, not vending machines.

The edge of the coin and the lack of certain details and markers on the obverse are characteristic of these coins.

It would be interesting to do an XRF analysis of this coin, and compare the results with the others already analyzed.

Remember that possession or trade of these coins is a criminal offense in Canada. I would suggest you to surrender it to the RCMP.

carpman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted