Help! Where do I begin?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 352sdeer, Feb 13, 2018.

1. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Hello all,
    I need some input. I’ve been collecting Lincoln cents for 45 plus years and want to start a new series to collect. SBA dollars are on my shortlist. I don’t do silver AT ALL as I got burned back in 1969 by a unscrupulous dealer and swore to NEVER buy silver again. So with that said what do you all think? Also I don’t own a single slab but would consider it in higher grades.
    Thanks,
    Reed & Sparkles the Unicorn

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

Sacs, I started collecting high grade ones and there are some variety’s out there which makes it more fun. You have the Satin finish ones and reverse proofs. They are also “cheap” in slabs.

352sdeer, Stevearino and spirityoda like this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I'd pass on the SBA's. The Mint still has heaps of bags never released. They're trying to dump them but nobody wants them. You can but all MS coins in a set with a holder around $300.00. No demand for them and I don't think there ever will be.

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Presidential dollar sets make a nice presentation piece. Fairly simple to assemble and I have found sparks discussion with my grandkids who are at the age they are learning about early leaders.

6. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

This is not supposedly true. The REASON they had to make 1999 SBA's was because they were RUNNING OUT OF 1979's and 1980's. I don't believe there's a huge pile anywhere. They're pretty well "distributed".

http://susanbanthonydollar.org/1999-susan-b-anthony-dollar/

SBA's are an okay set to collect, but you have to "go big or go home". You need really high grades. And they ARE out there raw.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    352sdeer likes this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I could be wrong, but I thought the Mint went with the 1999 SBA's because a dollar coin was approved for that year but the Sac $ wasn't ready.

Chris

352sdeer likes this.
  8. V. Kurt Bellman

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  9. cpm9ball

@352sdeer

You might consider the Sac dollar with the "Soaring Eagle" reverse which was produced from 2000-2008. You can opt for just the P&D business strikes or you can include the satin finish Mint Sets or even go as far as adding the proof coins.

Note: In 2009, the Sac dollar was changed to the "Native American" dollar with a different reverse every year. They even went as far as using edge lettering on them, which in my opinion, is very unattractive.

Chris

George McClellan likes this.
  10. cpm9ball

11. V. Kurt Bellman

Wanna hear something weird? I actually keep my SBA's, Sac's , and NA dollars in what amounts to ONE SET. No interruption at all. Eagle 2x2's in Eagle 36 boxes.

352sdeer and Ericred like this.
  12. cpm9ball

FWIW, I sold my 2000-2008 P&D business strikes when they changed to the Native American theme. They were all MS68, and I made a very nice profit from the sale.

Chris

Stevearino and 352sdeer like this.
  13. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

My CU from time to time asks me if I want a bag of them ... nope.

SilverMike likes this.
  14. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Don't let one crook spoil it for you.

Think about silver, at least look at Barber dimes & quarters

15. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

352sdeer likes this.
  16. V. Kurt Bellman

And when I worked for Berks County, PA as the Director of Elections (2001-2005) the vending machines in the lunchroom dispensed and accepted dollar coins. If you bought something for $2.50 and put a $10 note in the bill acceptor, you got two quarters and 7 dollar coins.

352sdeer and Ericred like this.
  17. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Do you already have all of the proof Lincoln Wheat cents for 1936-1958?

That would be a neat series to collect, and may be a good way to get into slabs.

18. V. Kurt Bellman

Getting into a slab is fairly easy. Getting out is the tricky part. It's like Han Solo at the end of "Empire".

19. V. Kurt Bellman

I can't even read your posts anymore without hearing "Unicorn" by the Irish Rovers.

20. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

I agree with treashunt. Every collector needs a little bit of silver.

21. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Liberty Seated Dimes, a highly under rated series and sooner or later, someone will figure this out. Just the regular series issues and not all of the varieties. With some exceptions it's still doable. But that's the case with most series, especially older/classic ones.

Mainebill, PlanoSteve and ToughCOINS like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted