Help, what is this?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Insider, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

A friend sent me two photos of an 1892 Barber half obverse. He knows what it is and is testing me. The only clue he gave me is the marks by the nose are raised.

I know this is cheating but I've never seen anything like this. What do you all think this could be?

Thanks in advance from a cheata...:shifty:

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Insider

Did you try creating an overlay for a possible clash? Note the mark extending diagonally from the nose.

The other thing that looks odd is that there appear to be 5 separate marks, 3 of which are in a line and parallel to the other two. Note: Two of these marks are very faint. It's almost as if something was accidentally dragged across the face of the die, skipping, like a needle would skip across a record.

Chris

bdunnse likes this.
  4. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

clash. the lines are from the arrow bundle. NOT. the arrows aren't parallel.

5. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

i still like the clash idea.

Insider likes this.
  6. Stoneman2

Stoneman2 New Member

Insider likes this.
  7. Stoneman2

Stoneman2 New Member

Thinking just the points of the arrows

8. cpm9ball

Let's assume there was a clash that occurred. Don't the marks in the images appear to be raised? Isn't that just the opposite of what they should be......recessed?

Also, there doesn't appear to be anything in the overlay that accounts for the mark extending diagonally from the bottom of the nose.

Chris

9. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

10. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

You had me going crazy w/this question. I had to do some thinking. :nailbiting:

It is a clash. What we are seeing from the nose is an incuse clash from a raised part of the design. This is the normal appearance of a clash.

The lines by the nose also resulted from a clash; however, this is not from the arrow shafts. It is caused by the space between the arrow shafts! As I wrote, I've never seen this in almost fifty years of collecting.

11. cpm9ball

You should be thankful I wasn't shooting the arrows. I might have hit you by mistake.

Chris:wacky::wacky::wacky:

Draft saved Draft deleted