HELP????? What is this coin??

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mrmarcus, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Mrmarcus

Mrmarcus New Member

Can anyone tell me what this is and if it's worth anything.. thanks

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Ancients people should be able to answer, I reported it to Administration to move.

Mrmarcus likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I concur.

Mrmarcus likes this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Edited to correct my mistake. There is a rare Seleukid coin with this iconography: (from CNG's archives). Your coin looks like a modern cast though.

[​IMG]
    SELEUKID KINGS of SYRIA. Kleopatra Thea & Antiochos VIII. 125-121 BC. AR Tetradrachm (26mm, 13.73 g, 11h). Askelon mint. Dated SE 192 (120/19 BC). Jugate heads right / Eagle standing left on prow left; palm frond behind; to left, AΣ above dove standing left; B(koppa)P (date) to right, AΣ between legs. SC 2276.2; Spaer –; HGC 9, 1186; DCA 256. VF, lightly toned, a few cleaning marks. Very rare.

Your coin:

CT-unk-Mrmarcus-fake.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Mrmarcus, Alegandron, Bing and 2 others like this.
  6. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

It's a replica of a real Phoenician Tetradrachm of Cleopatra and Antiochus VIII.

Mrmarcus and 7Calbrey like this.
  7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

8. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..a copy of a copy.. most likely not meant to fool anyone i'd think.

Mrmarcus likes this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Copying a rare and expensive coin requires you lay hands on a real one. People who won't spot a cast fake are not likely to pick up on the difference between a real coin and a Becker. Many fakes are meant to fool those who are looking to be fooled. According to some of the fakes we are shown here and asked if they are valuable, business would seem quite good in bad fakes.

Kentucky, ominus1 and TIF like this.
  10. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

haha.. it would seem to be.. i'm not sure how these peeps get the coins they post but I only wish i could get a Carl Becker (or some other famous forger) coin. i have bid on them in the past, but they are much sought after if they have provenance.:)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted