Help w/ "Pointed Leaves" vs. "Round Leaves" variety on 1909 Canada silver 5c?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Mar 17, 2018.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I received this attributed as a "Pointed Leaves" variety, but since that's the better of the two varieties, I thought I should confirm. I've looked at comparison pictures of the two types but don't know what I'm supposed to be looking for. Which leaves are we talking about? They all look "leafy" to me. :wacky:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

4. lordmarcovan

Thanks. That link at least gives an explanation. But I still looked back and forth between the two pictures and swear I can't see much if any difference.

I was never any good at those "magic eye" posters, either, FWIW. I suppose I have very nonmagical eyes.

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Your specimen is a pointed leaf variety.
    And these are starting to interest me as the GWN -H-10 ;)

6. lordmarcovan

Thanks.

Oh good. The GWN -H-10.

Glad to hear that.

What's the GWN -H-10?!? :wacky::wideyed:

furryfrog02 likes this.
  7. Paddy54

Great White North half dime eh?

brandon spiegel likes this.
  8. lordmarcovan

Aha! But of course!

I had just figured out the "GWN" part.

The "H-10" part would've taken me another five minutes. :rolleyes:

9. Paddy54

s-l400-9.jpg s-l400-8.jpg s-l400-3.jpg

This is the long lip variety

10. lordmarcovan

:)

"Fishscales".

20180221_101201.jpg 20180221_101334.jpg VHC06-coin.jpg

Paddy54 likes this.
  11. Paddy54

Now i like that.... have you checked for variety?
    Double legend

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. lordmarcovan

I wouldn't know the varieties on these, as has already been amply demonstrated in this thread.

13. Paddy54

Coins and canada web site very good for obtaining information on Canadian coins and varieties.
    Does Victoria look doubled?

lordmarcovan likes this.
  14. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I second that. It's my main go-go for anything Canadian coins.

Paddy54 likes this.
  15. Paddy54

Here's how good their variety information is and how I found my 1891 long lip s-l400-9.jpg 5-cents-1891-obverse-2.jpg 5-cents-1891-double-8-date-canada-1891.jpg

16. lordmarcovan

If that was in regard to my 1901, I dunno. That coin was part of the 1901 Victorian type set I built for my daughter. Sold it five or six years ago. It never would have slabbed, since it had some rim damage. But it was pretty.

The other two (1881-H & 1909) just went into my tiny little CollectiveCoin swapstock store. I'm trying to build that up some. Have tons of world coins, but only limited time to photograph and list them. I guess if I add a few every week, the list can grow.

17. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

The leaves they are talking about are the first and second leaves on both sides of the ribbon on the reverse. Yours are pointed.

http://coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php?coin=5-cents-1909&years=5-cents-1902-1910

Look half way down and click on the little "+" to the right of the varieties this will show you what leaves.

I third that. This is also my go to for Canada Varieties.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  18. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

19. lordmarcovan

Well, that variety isn't even listed by Krause.

I mean, when it's just "Round Leaves" versus "Pointed Leaves", the Pointed Leaves variety is the better, out of the ones listed in Krause.

I've never been one for variety minutiae. I mean, I don't begrudge the folks who are into all that, and certainly don't blame them for taking an interest, and I respect their knowledge- but that sort of thing is just not my cup of tea.

As was once rather dramatically demonstrated.

20. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

If you look at the Charlton coin guide (published annually), the blow-up or thumbnail photos show the differences very well. Charlton also gives the pointed & round leaves additional names (maple leaf or holly leaf). Don't strain your eyes looking for the '09 pointed(holly) leaf with the cross/bow-tie .. there are only 4 known. To me, it looks like the round leaves are just die wear. BTW, I'm not sure which year or edition of Charlton has the 5 cent silver variety section in the back, but it was fairly recently. Every year Charlton puts a different denomination in the back with 40-60 pages of varieties that aren't in the front or standard guide.

21. lordmarcovan

Changing the subject entirely, @Bill in Burl - I like your avatar coin and have a nice MS example in one of my watchlists. Might move on it one of these days, if something else doesn't tempt me more. So many coins, so finite the funds to buy them with! *sigh*

Draft saved Draft deleted