Help w/ grade 1884-S Morgan Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by coin0709, Jan 22, 2017.

1. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Hello all. This coin has been dipped at some point in its past. Do you think it would get a UNC Details, AU Details, or XF Details grade from PCGS/NGC?

I have one other I am curious and will post that one after this. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Dipped, sure, but it also looks like it's been polished to death...?

4. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

This is the better of the two, but still AU Details.

5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Afraid that coin fell victim to someone with a bottle of silver polish. Pity.

6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

:rolleyes: The coin in the original post is NOT polished. You will find that the words "harshly cleaned" and "polished" are continuously used on in this forum when they do not apply. ;)

superzimm and 1776 like this.
  7. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

It's on the line of xf/au but should make AU details from the look of it. A coin in the $150+ range

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

:facepalm::eggface::hurting::jawdrop::muted::nailbiting::nurse:?

I see a polished coin, not (just) a harshly cleaned one. Flat, lusterless, but highly reflective fields. What are you seeing that I'm not, or not seeing that I am? I'll admit that the lack of halos around devices makes me a little less confident...

9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I said it looked polished because it looked like five otherwise fair Morgans I examined for a friend who proudly told me he had taken polish to them.:banghead:

I'd also be interested in finding out why this one should be viewed as harshly cleaned.

10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

What is going on left center next to the eagles wing?
    At the top of the reverse, by the eagles head, In God We Trust, and STATES,
    it almost looks like it was cleaned with steel wool. Au-details.

11. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

The tpg's are forgiving with 84s in au. I've had similar ones come back straight graded au50 and au details graded.

12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

They don't care about dipping. This one was washed everywhere and behind the ear.

Paddy54 and SuperDave like this.
  13. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

:rolleyes: See post #5. Sorry! :sorry: That was not called for as I read past the first sentence and see you are asking for information.

Polishing is way up the scale of abrasive cleaning. The "Halo" you mentioned is often a good sign; however, a little thumbing on a coin will also produce the same effect. A coin becomes polished as soon as the sharp edges of the relief design start to become rounded. The surface also becomes mirror-like. The OP's coin has no evidence of this. It just does not look 100% original. ;)

14. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Thank you everyone for your opinions. Sounds like AU DETAILS is the consensus. it's a shame some idiot cleaned it so harshly. Cheers.

Michael K likes this.
  15. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

AU details. Very harshly cleaned. Either buffed, or mechanically polished. Shame, as it is one of the most notoriously difficult dates.

16. Don P

Don P Active Member

High XF to low AU details.

The breast feathers do not stand out and also there are some scratches/dents to the open fields. Still a nice Morgan.

Personally, I wouldn't waste time in sending in for grading unless you think this will draw over $200.

17. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I think almost everyone is in agreement. The coin will likely not straight grade at a TPG.
    There are way better examples if you want a graded coin of this date and mm combination.

18. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Yes, if you want to pay up for them. Slabbed AU DETAILS coins sell for $200+. Slabbed UNC DETAILS coins sell for $1000+. Big difference. I agree, less than $200 it makes no sense to slab them.

Draft saved Draft deleted