Help w/ attribution of Greek tetradrachm or drachma?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by coin0709, Nov 16, 2015.

1. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Hi All,
    I'd really appreciate if someone could help steer me in the right direction. Which emperor is on the obv? Denomination? Translation or interpretation of the reverse? I've spent a while on Forvmancient coins site but to no avail. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

First, it may not be authentic. It might a jeweler's "copy" patterned after an ancient coin of the Chalkidian League (Macedon). The obverse is Apollo and the reverse is a kithara (stringed musical instrument). As for denomination, you'll need to measure the coin's diameter.

Here's an example of the type, from CNG's archives:

[​IMG]
    MACEDON, Chalkidian League. Circa 350 BC. AR Tetradrachm (25mm, 14.40 g, 1h). Olynthos mint; Ariston, magistrate. Head of Apollo right, wearing laurel wreath / Kithara; X-A-Λ-KIΔ-EΩN around, ΕΠΙ APIΣΤΩNΟΣ below; all within incuse circle. Robinson & Clement Group V, 133 (A81/P113); SNG ANS 496; SNG Lockett 1314 (same dies); Boston MFA 582 (same dies). EF, attractively toned, a few minor marks, insignificant porosity on obverse. Superb late Classical style, well centered on a broad flan. Very rare die combination.

The coin (or coin-like object) in your necklace is probably smaller. There are other denominations of the general type. For instance, here is a tetrobol, also from CNG's archives:

[​IMG]
    MACEDON, Chalkidian League. Circa 382-379 BC. AR Tetrobol (13mm, 2.40 g, 6h). Olynthos mint. Head of Apollo left, wearing laurel wreath / Kithara; X-A-Λ-KIΔ-EΩN around; all within incuse circle. Robinson & Clement Group I, 93 (A61/P61); AMNG III/2, 18–9; SNG ANS 534–5. EF, a little die rust on obverse.

Cropped and joined images of the OP pendant:

CT-pendant.jpg

Bing, coin0709 and Sallent like this.
  4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Fake coin. If the modernish looking obverse doesn't do it, look at the bubbles on the metal in the reverse. Probably a modern design casted just for these necklaces.

Glad it's not an ancient coin. That would have been a crime. I hate it when people ruin old coins by encasing them in necklaces, money clips, etc.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  5. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Thanks for the two replies. I believe it is in the ~25mm size range. I do agree the obverse does look modern but I was thinking the relatively issue free surfaces could have been due to polishing. I also agree the reverse detailing/strike is poor in comparison to your two examples. The 'bubbles' may actually be pock marks. I do not have the coin in front of me. Are these factors fatal flaws generally accepted by others (not just SALLENT)? Cheers

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Although there is considerable variation among authentic coins, the portrait on your pendant doesn't look right to me.

(My opinion is worth the price you paid :D)

Mikey Zee, Ancientnoob and coin0709 like this.
  7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Jeweler's copy, and not even a good one.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

9. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

When compared to TIF's post and after reading every ones opinion, it's impossible to conclude it's anything but a fake...

Draft saved Draft deleted