Help verify this Chinese coin identity, please..

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Browns Fan, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Browns Fan

Browns Fan Active Member

My first Chinese coin which was bought with a large group of foreign coins. I think I found it on page 433 of my 2014 Standard Catalogue of World Coins and is labeled C#19-7. Knowing nothing about grading these, I would guess VF or so. Listed value is $55. Did I get it right? Is that value realistic? Thanks IMG_0317.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, it looks like you have the far more common Y#190 variety. Type C #19-7 was the last cash coin from the Guangdong mint to be cast in the traditional way, and is a fairly low mintage piece. Type Y#190 uses the same inscription but was machine-struck, and it was issued in much larger numbers. Your coin is worth maybe a dollar or so. Sorry the value isn't as high as hoped, but it's still a cool bit of history, and a relic of when China was transitioning into the modern world.

NOS likes this.
  4. Browns Fan

Browns Fan Active Member

I was so excited to finally locate what looked like my coin in the catalog that I didn't even look at the next one! Thanks for the info.

5. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

I always find it funny that the machine struck ones almost always have some sort of problem with the hole orientation.

Draft saved Draft deleted