Help! Tough decision!!!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by mrweaseluv, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Corn Man

Corn Man Well-Known Member

Depends if you trust the guy

NOS likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Do yourself a favor and pass. If you have to ask us what to do.....

4. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

If you went for it, let us know what you got!

NOS and Robert Ransom like this.
  5. bditto39

bditto39 Active Member

It's actually very easy to seal an old roll to make it look genuine. Shoot, you can even buy old rolls to roll up yourself. Happens all the time on ebay. I would be HIGHLY suspect of anyone trying to sell "unopened rolls" of wheat cents. He may have gotten them in good faith, but who sold them to him? It's way too risky for that much money. The whole idea that the rolls are worth more unopened like that is also crazy. I bought into it a few times when I first started collecting, and it's just not true. The idea that the end coin of an "unsearched" roll tells you anything about the contents is just incorrect. You could open it up to find 48 common wheats in the middle far easier than ever finding a decent coin in the roll. I would run from these like a poisonous snake. With that same $250 you could buy a few nice graded wheats or whatever you are into at auction and have it at the value of the actual coin instead of a subjective value of unknown coins. The reason the convenience store owner doesn't scratch his own tickets is the same reason your dealer doesn't pop the rolls...they both know it's rigged and value their money more.

And I almost forgot, you are only seeing one side of those coins! You can't grade a coin based on one side and no view of the edge.

6. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

One thing about this that I don't like...there were few paper coin rolls as we know them today until several years later and they were not that widely used until the 1930s and 40s. While they existed as early as the "aughts", they were VERY few and far between! That's why I look at so-called unopened rolls from that era with a great deal of skepticism. And I look at "unsearched" rolls of wheats with even greater skepticism, because if they were truly unsearched, how did the seller know that they are all wheats inside???

7. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

CRH'ers, now hear this. :)

-jeffB likes this.
  8. Jay latour

Jay latour Active Member

I swear i just saw this same exact listing on amazon for around the same amount of money hes probably just trying to cut his own losses my friend.

9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

What listing? Link?

10. Jay latour

Jay latour Active Member

No sorry they arent in those wrappers so i guess its not the same and there not BU sorry about that

Draft saved Draft deleted