help to identity coin and give some information

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Rajmond, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Rajmond

Rajmond New Member

My cousin have coin or we think its coin. If someone can give us some information about this. Thank you.
    20181021_174856 1.jpg

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

you might want to post this in the ancients section. I'm still new enough with ancients that I can't ID it, but it sure looks like you might get more feedback over there...

4. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

just realised too, you might need to post a pic of the reverse of the coin to help the experts ID it.

Roman Collector likes this.
  5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CoinTalk. I will report your post and ask to have it moved to the ancients forum. They will need a pic of the back, and if possible diameter in mm and weight in grams.

Roman Collector likes this.
  6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

TIF, dougsmit and Kentucky like this.
  7. Rajmond

Rajmond New Member

8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

It IS Antoninus Pius (138-161 A.D.) However I cannot tell if it is a sestertius (orichalcum) or as (copper).

furryfrog02 likes this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I'll guess it is an as. Sestertii (first below) of this period tend to have a sharper, more squared off edge while asses (second below) are more smoothly rounded over. Those who have both are asked to check my theory here and report if our coins agree.
    rc2160bb1026.jpg rc2155fd2183.jpg

I suspect the blank flans were prepared in a different manner but I have no idea why.

Pellinore, TIF, Johndakerftw and 4 others like this.
  10. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

That, plus the fact that asses were more common back then (seems they still are today, but that's another thread) means that statistically, your coin is more likely to be an as. When all else fails, go with the odds.

Silverlock and TIF like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted