Help to ID 100 kurush gold coin Muhammad V

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Wal888, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Wal888

Wal888 Well-Known Member

Hi All.
    I bought today in the morning this Wonderful gold coin, but cannot identify it correctly. I researched hundreds of pictures and did not find a coin that have the two symbols around of the "Toughra" (symbol of the Sultanate of the Ottoman Turkish Empire) on the obverse. All the coins hav the "Muhammad V" simbol on the right side of the "Toughra", but the symbol on the left side I did not find yet.
    If some one of you could help me to ID and grade it, I"ll be thank full.
    Dimensions:
    • Mass: 7.2160 grams
    • Diameter: 22.3 mm
    • Thickness: 1.4 mm
    • Content: 0.2127 troy oz gold
    • Purity: 91.67% gold
    • DSC00709.JPG DSC00710.JPG DSC00716.JPG

panzerman and cmezner like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MasterSamurai

MasterSamurai Compulsive Change Sifter

Wal888 and brandon spiegel like this.
  4. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

I think Wal888 means the symbol on the left side of the obverse (first picture), which is not a toughra and it is not on the coin at numista :oops:

5. Wal888

Wal888 Well-Known Member

Thanks @MasterSamurai, but the symbol (on the left side of the Toughra) which is present on my coin is missing on Numista coin. Means this symbol anything?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  6. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Sometimes there where coins made for Sultan's visit to a city like Bursa, these have different symbols. I have one for his visit to Edirne.

Wal888 likes this.
  7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Are you completely certain that coin is genuine?

Because I'm not.

cmezner likes this.
  8. Wal888

Wal888 Well-Known Member

Yes, I researched about the history of Muhammad V Sultanate and figured out that he have visited some cities, like Bursa, Edirne, Kosova and Manastir. In all these visits was created a commemorative coin in honor of his presence.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    panzerman likes this.
  9. Wal888

Wal888 Well-Known Member

Hi, @physics-fan3.14. I've read your (gift) book entirely, but is very hard to me, yet, to grade coins. I'm never sure about if the coins I purchase are genuine or not. What I know about this coin is from who was purchased. The girl that sold to me received 7 coins as birthday gift from her uncles (they are from Libanon). The coin was tested and weight 7.21gr of gold.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  10. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

What are the symbols for those cities: Bursa, Edirne, Kosova and Manastir ?

Can't find anywhere in the references the symbol on the left of the obverse that looks like a stylized number 29.

11. Wal888

Wal888 Well-Known Member

I never said that the commemorative coins have any symbol like mine has. And the symbol on the obverse isn't number 29, but the letter K followed by the letter Z in arabic alphabet.
    First letter: Ḏāl (ذ, also be transcribed as dhāl) is one of the six letters the Arabic alphabet added to the twenty-two inherited from the Phoenician alphabet (the others being ṯāʾ, ḫāʾ, ḍād, ẓāʾ, ġayn). In Modern Standard Arabic it represents /ð/. In name and shape, it is a variant of dāl (د). Its numerical value is 700 (see abjad numerals). The Arabic letter ذ is named ذالḏāl. It is written is several ways depending in its position in the word;
    Second letter: qāf The Arabic letter ق is named قاف qāf. It is written in several ways depending in its position in the word Glyph form: ق‬ ـق‬ ـقـ‬ قـ‬
    It is usually transliterated into Latin script as q, though some scholarly works use .

I'm not sure, but probably the symbol be the quantity of coins was minted for that special case. IMHO.
    Walter

panzerman likes this.
  12. MasterSamurai

MasterSamurai Compulsive Change Sifter

I'm not sure that those letters stand for numbers. The two would add up to 800, for which there is a different symbol entirely
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abjad_numerals (ض‬)

Additionally, Arabic is read from right to left, so it would read "qaf dhal". Seems like the initials for something.

I love mysteries like this, it's fun to try to get to the bottom of them!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  13. Wal888

Wal888 Well-Known Member

Yes!!! I also love discovering all about the coins i purchase. The meaning of these letters will be a part of the history of the sultanate not yet told. Also, I really want to know why my coin has a symbol that no other I have looked for, has.

Draft saved Draft deleted