Help to grade or not? Gold coin Thanks

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by David Betts, Apr 27, 2020.

1. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

Attached Files:

• Lc1.JPG
      Lc1.JPG
      File size:
      271.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I wouldn't. But, in more than 70 years of collecting, I have never had anything graded or slabbed.

capthank, Hookman and David Betts like this.
  4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Are you looking to resell it? If so, I think having it graded and slabbed may get you top dollar, if not, I doubt it would be worth it to you.

5. David Betts

No, I use my SS checks to buy cool stuff for grand son who loves all my coins as I got plenty from my Dad and Grand Dad. Next Gen TY
    I guess when I go he can pay to slab just want him to know value of coins is not by size! Especially in gold

6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

In that case, passing down slabbed coins may deter them from just spending them and keep them protected. Just a thought.

7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Is that a Lewis & Clark Expo dollar? That may very well be worth having verified. I wouldn’t bother submitting modern commemorative gold, but there can be significant value gained on the older gold commemoratives.

8. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

I must agree with Mountain Man. To 'slab' is a matter of personal choice and it never hurts to protect your coin and also have a third party opinion. The choice is yours.

capthank, Hookman and David Betts like this.
  9. David Betts

I'm so stoked about this coin looked over and over no scratching only blem I see is very slight smoking on Lewis side rest of coin looks 1904! ty all for input but I think I'll send . Let ya all know! Sweet Raw

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

No harm in leaving it as is for now. Give yourself time to get over your excitement before making any grading decisions.

Hookman and David Betts like this.
  11. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Even if you don't like/believe in the grading system of the TPGs....the ease, convenience, and ability to stack/store coins in the plastic slabs means it's time to ditch the 1960's technology of 2x2's.

ryang74, Penna_Boy, Hookman and 2 others like this.
  12. David Betts

13. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Considering what you already have in it, another $50 or so won't matter that much, and you'll get something in return.
    You'll maintain, or even increase, the value.
    You'll provide protection for the coin and it's value.
    You'll be able to handle the coin, in a slab, much more freely than you can handle the coin in a flip, so the opportunity to interact with your grandson is greater.
    A slab stacks better than a flip or raw coin.
    A coin in a slab " displays " better. (Just be careful who you display a GOLD coin to.)

I could probably think of some more but there's 5 good ones right there.

coin_nut, capthank, Penna_Boy and 4 others like this.
  14. St Gaudens collector

St Gaudens collector Active Member

I'm in the process now of TrueViewing the rest of my nephew's gold so he can look at it anytime he wants.
    My brother said it would be less stressful if he only played with one unsecured coin at a time.
    (he gets one/year on his BD)

I say yea...Slab it & put it in a nice Lighthouse box.
    You can show him how to look it up.
    It's nice to be able to move the cursor over HIS coin while telling him about it.

(he also roll hunts to fill his Whitman albums...A lot...So I'm told:D)

15. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Since you mentioned that you collect SS, I assume you're above 65. If you have time, would love to see what your grandfather left you. Lots of beautiful, vintage coins from the 1800's, I bet!

David Betts and Hookman like this.
  16. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Yes, I would have it graded. Unless you are REALLY good at grading though, I would temper your expectations on a grade. It may even be cleaned, so just be aware of that. Good luck!

David Betts likes this.
  17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Hmm. Still a bit of a price differential between $50 to slab a coin and five cents to put one in a 2x2. I still have a fine appreciation for some 60's technology. :rolleyes:

micbraun and Hookman like this.
  18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Or split the difference and put them in generic shells (at about $1 each) that protect better than 2X2's, and make it look like they are slabbed. Gives you the look and protection you want, at a savings of $49 per coin.

Hookman, David Betts and -jeffB like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted