Help save a catastrophe

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ocjoe949, Oct 11, 2017.

1. ocjoe949

ocjoe949 Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

I PITY THE FOOL!

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

5. ocjoe949

ocjoe949 Active Member

I figured if more people report it, it might bring more attention.

6. lordmarcovan

7. Is it possible that the seller is himself a victim and doesnt realize he is selling fakes?

8. lordmarcovan

Possible, but in any event, the bidiots buyers need to be protected.

9. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Will be interesting to see the final price. Keep in mind that $2-$3 each is not unreasonable for these novelty pieces and is around what groups of these sell for when listed appropriately as copies.

10. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Always possible and surely happens. Sadly, as whoever buys these may think they are 'real' (assuming more than the $2-3 value each).

BUT, the guy knew to call them 'rounds' in the title and nowhere do I see the word 'silver' being used. If he thought they were real then they'd be silver coins. I'd give it about 99.1465% chance he knows what they are...and the vague title is in the hope of nabbing someone unawares. He could be on the up and up, a few might be real coins etc....but I am VERY skeptical.

As for those bidding to get them at the $2 each mark...either they are hoping for a score ( :( ) OR, are hoping to sell as the real deal and perpetuate the scam.

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Living near the southern border, I see many of these at swap meets or yard sales, and for the most part they do not know the coin's characteristics ( even if its their native country )Some are scammers and know very well, others are trying to sell a family 'thing' for a little money. This week a friend asked me to look at an old US coin, a 1840 they said, dollar. Of course I realize how improbable that would be, but I got a few 'tools' and went to check. The minute they pulled it from its hiding place, I recognized a US 'gold dollar' . The tough part was that they were so hopeful. The large number of coins in this sale indicates full knowledge of their real value.

Numismat likes this.
  12. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Done. Took me a few looks until I saw the obvious fake about the 8th photo.
    Steve

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I added my voice. Sometimes it works.

14. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

I'm not familiar with Mexican coins. What are some of the indicators that these are fakes?

Cal

15. Reporting on eBay auction listing - does not do anything....

16. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

That's beside the point. Every seller has an obligation to know what he is selling is genuine.

17. lordmarcovan

They are very obviously cast, with mushy, crude details. One does have to look closely at the photos.

calcol and Stevearino like this.
  18. Joea59

Joea59 Member

I asked the seller if the coins, or rounds, were silver and he said they were replicas. So he does know what he has and he should list them as replicas.

Stevearino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted