Help requested from the Commemorative Folks out there- 1921 Pilgrim…

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jack D. Young, May 21, 2023.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

The relief on these is really high. Wikipedia and Numista both say it's 2.15mm, same as a Kennedy half, but those entries might have been written by someone who assumed all modern half dollar designs have the same thickness. (Really, they should, and they might.)

If that figure is true, and if the fake is copper-coated silver, it should be around 10% thicker, so... 2.375mm? Or maybe they made the dished parts shallower so the rim would be closer to the right thickness, but I don't give them that much credit.

Unfortunately, mine isn't where I thought it was, so it'll be a while before I can get to it. (First order of business will be making sure MINE isn't one of the same fakes!)

Jack D. Young likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

I'm just saying it might be obvious. I agree if it was copper clad it would be about 10% thicker, but they probably don't waste good copper on these either... :)

4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I have some C/F Pilgrims but they don't look like this one. I'll see if I can find one to image but don't hold your breath. The one Jack posted would probably fool lots of people, My fake are brite silver gems - too good to be true.

5. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

Measures 2.21.

6. -jeffB

I don't think that's enough over-thickness to diagnose a fake by itself. I'm guessing that a specific-gravity test would be similarly inconclusive. I'll be interested to see the results if you get an X-ray scan on it.

7. Jack D. Young

Back from my local coin shop where it scanned 77% silver...

-jeffB likes this.
  8. -jeffB

The people who've actually been trained on the ray-gun would know better than I do, but I'm pretty sure that a plated layer of a higher-atomic-weight and denser metal like silver would partially shield the underlying base metal, especially if the the plating is fairly thick. So if you've got a layer of 100% silver over a copper core, it might well read as some intermediate percentage of silver. Did they say what the other 23% read as?

9. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Considering it's supposed to be 90%, seems like the reading must be from plating, although more expensive Chinese fakes claim to be silver. I recall seeing "silver" Morgans on that website for $80 or something (not that I'd trust them claiming a fake coin is silver).

10. Jack D. Young

The "silver" dollar "PCGS" slabbed things had no silver in them...

11. Jack D. Young

OK, you have seen them here 1st:D...

The "PCGS" 1920 Pilgrim; reverse is significantly rotated on my example and the same attribution points/ "tells" apply from the 1921. It appears they just removed the date...

1920 combo.jpg
    1920 atts.jpg
    Label is for a correct active cert:

cert.jpg

KBBPLL likes this.
  12. Jack D. Young

Draft saved Draft deleted