Help putting a value on these new eagles...

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by KenTheDiver, Aug 25, 2020.

?

Is this worth a premium?

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

50.0%
  1. KenTheDiver

KenTheDiver New Member

Hello,

‘Newb here. I got a few of these new eagles - pop 100 & dual signatures if that means anything? (We all know about the production year, in general). No idea what graded eagle people would think about these. Open for all input, interested in the good and bad.

thank you

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Any slabbed piece of metal is worth a premium above what the unslabbed piece would be or what the melt value would be. How much of a premium would be up to the buyer. Welcome to CT.

4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

What the market will bear is my only answer.

At the core you have a 70 eagle. That has a market price. Then you have "First Day" and the signatures. To anyone who cares about these things it could add value, but someone just putting together a 70 set not so much.

5. KenTheDiver

KenTheDiver New Member

I was mainly referring to the dual signature element. Not often found - very rarely done.

-Doesn’t mean it’s worth much more than any other MS70 Burnished FDOI w/ a single signature , lol

6. KenTheDiver

KenTheDiver New Member

7. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

Personally, it doesnt move my needle and I would not pay a premium for it. Eagles are strictly bullion to me.

8. ddddd

ddddd Member

I see three sales on eBay, all between May 29 and June 2 (2020). They were the same dual signatures in MS 70 but had a regular bullion Eagle as opposed to your Burnished ("W" mintmark) Eagle.

Those three were listed for $249, $349, and $450 and show as best offer accepted (I can't tell how much less the seller took).

Your version is the Burnished but appears to have more graded as 70 (100 compared to only 45 for the regular bullion). I'd figure yours could sell in that same $249-$450 range to someone that collects rare labels.

KenTheDiver likes this.
  9. KenTheDiver

KenTheDiver New Member

Thank you, I couldn’t and still can’t seem to find any on EBay (maybe I typed the wrong stuff in the search bar?).

ddddd likes this.
  10. ddddd

ddddd Member

I can't find your exact one either.
    The three (bullion version) I found were by using the term "2020 Mike Castle"

11. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

What do you mean when you say "I got a few of these..."? Do you actually have them? If you do, then you must have paid something for them - right? Are you looking for premium over what you paid?

12. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

The NGCcensus makes no darn sense to me at all. This particular issue, no idea, So far they've graded 18,781 2020 W burnished eagles in MS 70. So unless there's a collector looking for these signatures and specific label, any one of those 18,781 graded so far will do.

They say they only graded 3436 inMS69 ... and the real rarity, 1 in MS66! ohhh ahhhh a "condition rarity" somebody take my money!

As far as the coin in MS70 due to the sell out currently and the shortage, it's about $180.00 if you can find one for sale.

No idea on the signatures and slab gimmick to make to "pop 100".

KenTheDiver and Inspector43 like this.
  13. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Years from now collectors won't understand these gimmicks and there will be no premium on them. I have at least one of each "Burnished ASE". They are still in the capsules from the mint. I might have MS70's. If I do, they will be worth the same as the slabbed ones years from now.

KenTheDiver and John Burgess like this.
  14. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

This is where I get lost. I understand people wanting to make a buck, but how in the world can something that has absolutely nothing to do with the coin make it "rarer"? I mean, I am a coin collector. I collect coins, I enjoy them. At times I have bought slabbed coins just because what I was interested in happened to be in a slab. I viewed the slab as simply a good collector ticket.

How does something like someone's autograph add value to the coin in the eyes of the collector? How does it make it "rare" somehow? I mean, I know how it "works", but WHY? If I want an autograph, I will collect autographs. Why not put a stamp inside the slab too, or a chunk of a beanie baby? I am just curious from those who like such slabs, are you a collector of autographs too and this is cheaper than collecting both separately?

Like I have said before, collect what you like, but this fad really confuses me.

15. KenTheDiver

KenTheDiver New Member

I bought from a dealer with no market reference: I figured you guys could be my market reference since there are no sales to go on. You have experience, I am having an experience...lol.

16. ddddd

ddddd Member

I'm confused too, but enough people like it or else the grading companies wouldn't do this and there wouldn't be sales for multiples of guide.

Plus there are people that are good at marketing (hyping) these special slabs (like the TV Coin shows). Some of the buyers could be fooled into thinking there is something rare based on the low populations (of a particular holder/label combo).

KenTheDiver likes this.
  17. KenTheDiver

KenTheDiver New Member

(raises hand)

18. ddddd

ddddd Member

Most of the replies you will see on the forums about special labels/autographs will be similar to what is written so far in this thread. A lot of people focus more on the coin and consider the "extras" to be fairly gimmicky. I'm not the biggest fan of most special labels, but I do acknowledge that some people collect them and pay quite a premium. Just because I (or many on this forum) wouldn't pay more, that doesn't mean it's worthless on the general market or that we can't discuss the market rate based on actual sales.

19. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

@ddddd said it best. We are coin guys. Autographs confuse us..... This whole thing reminds me of the slabbed Coca-Cola bottle caps that I saw here on CT a year or so ago. Somebody somewhere places a value on them..... Weren’t there some slabs not long ago autographed by Rick from the Pawn Stars program? Meaningless to be, but not to others I reckon.

ddddd, KenTheDiver and John Burgess like this.
  20. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

They are worth what someone is willing to pay and as the owner, you agree to that price. Welcome to CT.

Gat Finger and KenTheDiver like this.
  21. KenTheDiver

KenTheDiver New Member

Thank you, guys. All valuable input. Appreciated

Draft saved Draft deleted