Help! Proof Nickel Conservation

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jaybot, May 22, 2023.

?

Send to PCGS?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jaybot

Jaybot Active Member

So, I recently got a sealed proof set off of the 'Bay, and it had this beauty inside. Cut it out, and noticed some sort of gunk/verdegris/something on the coin.
    The penny in the set had similar problems, and since the toning was of the same sort but not very pretty, I dipped the penny in acetone as a test piece. Well, I was glad that I tested with the penny before I did the nickel, as half of the toning was gone on the penny.
    I would love to submit this nickel in my next PCGS submission, but I'd like to get that mystery spot off before I submit it. There are a few other smaller spots like it on the coin, but the one pictured is the most noticeable.

Any tips or suggestions?!
    Thanks guys and gals IMG_5937.JPEG IMG_5936.JPEG IMG_5938.JPEG

alurid, capthank and Millard like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

That's a carbon spot and there's no way you can remove it,it's on the coin forever and could possibly grow.I'd say no on sending it to PCGS and possibly return if you can.

4. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Nice photos. Many people post fussy or overly sharpened photos that don't show a coin well enough to see what they are talking / asking about. In your case, WOW, I can see both the coin and the problem perfectly, well done.

That being said, I think you probably cannot make the carbon spot problem better, only worse unfortunately...

But then again, this might be a great test of PCGS conservation service, baring them rejecting the coin out of hand. Perhaps email or call and ask before you spend the money to ship it.

lardan and Jaybot like this.
  5. Jaybot

Jaybot Active Member

Thank you for the compliment!

I have heard of people successfully removing these spots in the past, and on some pcgs trueviews there does seem to be some coins that once had these spots but were since removed. Not saying I should try to remove it, just curious if anyone knows how some have removed them.
    As always, thank you for the tips guys

6. Millard

Millard Coindog

I love the look of Proof nickels, especially with toning!

7. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Not sure if I understand the motivation here. Even if it got PR68 it's a $20-30 coin.

8. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

9. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Except for the spot it is a very nice-looking coin. I would not send it in, just my opinion. Follow the consensus and then make your decision, good luck.

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

If acetone removed the toning..........it wasn't toning.

lardan and -jeffB like this.
  11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Another case of "acetone can sometimes alter copper's color"? Wonder if a bit of acetic acid might have made its way into the acetone?

Kentucky likes this.
  12. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I don't clean my coins, even if they can be cleaned. I'm a novice and would hate to ruin a coin that is otherwise a very nice example of the coin. I haven't sent any coins in to be cleaned, but if I had a coin that I felt needs to be carefully restored, I depending on the coin, I would let a professional take care of it. Anyone know which of the companies professionally restores coins?

Draft saved Draft deleted