Help please

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by AustinJ0324, Jan 10, 2021.

1. AustinJ0324

AustinJ0324 Well-Known Member

Can someone please help me identify these? Thank you in advance! 93B96C3F-BBF0-47C2-BE05-FD5C923BAB56.jpeg 5F678678-DB4B-4207-B52D-70D521BADE8E.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I'm thinking they're Chinese or Korean medals, I could definitely be wrong so wait for others to chime in! ;)

AustinJ0324 likes this.
  4. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Anything on the case? What is on the reverse? Olympics were in Japan that year.

AustinJ0324 likes this.
  5. AustinJ0324

AustinJ0324 Well-Known Member

I wish I had them in my possession. My grandpa was about to give these to me today during my morning coffee visit. He doesn’t know what they are. I’m very fair to him and told him I wanted to look them up first. But I can’t find any references online. I tried to take them out of the case but they are in there really good and I didn’t want to damage it! I will get a better picture next weekend (and maybe take them home this time).

Garlicus likes this.
  6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yes you're right, could definitely be Japanese, whether it's for the Olympics, idk. @AustinJ0324 Next time you see the set, try to pull out the red wrapper from the box and you should be able to push the medals out. At least that's how most boxed medals are set up. Could be a gold medal but you'll never know until you look and post better pics here! You won't damage it if you're careful but sometimes the red wrapper has a small amount of glue on it from the factory, you're probably gonna have to use some force but it's the only way to get information! thumbupp.gif

AustinJ0324 likes this.
  7. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

I think it looks like a commemorative set. Not challenge coins, as both would carry the same inscriptions and artwork, even though one was silver & the other gold.
    [​IMG]

8. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

It looks mainland Chinese to me. I am having a really hard time reading the characters from these photos though. I can see 贰拾 (20) in financial script
    on the gold one. If you get a photo with less reflections focused on the coin
    I can transcribe and look up the rest.

fretboard likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted