Help Please...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Jersey magic man, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

A friend of mine gave me five coins encased in what seemed like cement. After many soakings in various solutions (things like adhesive remover, OOPS, Acetone, paint thinner, Brasso, Fantastic, and other stuff I had hanging around the house - never in combination with each other), picking with a dental tool, and brushing with a suede brush, I got them to a point where I could see designs. They are shown below. Now that you can see them, can anyone identify them? I am a Federal Reserve Note error collector so these are WAAAY out of my league.

1st Unknpwn.jpg Unknown 2.jpg Unknown 3.jpg Unknown 4.jpg Unknown 5.jpg
    Any help would be appreciated. Especially with the fourth one which is barely visible.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

The first two are Byzantine. I don't know much about them but I think the second might be Justin I. The last coin is Theodosius I from Antioch... reverse is SALVS REI-PVBLICAE, Victory walking left, trophy on shoulder, dragging captive behind her. Chi-Rho in left field. RIC

Johnnie Black and Theodosius like this.
  4. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

Byzantine Coins, Byzantium, 518-527, Follis 518-527, Constantinople, Cu. 15,19 g. Draped and diademed bust right / Large value mark M. Sear 62., 40822.jpg ps not my coin

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Curtisimo and Theodosius like this.
  5. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

i am thinking about the other that is Mauricius Tiberius

6. Jersey magic man

Thanks for your replies. Anyone want to guess on coins 3 and 4?

7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Three and Four look like Roman Provincial issues to me, maybe 2nd-3rd centuries A.D. Not really enough detail (for me) to make out the portraits...

8. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

(Edit: Misread a question, ignore!)

9. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Provincial coins of Hadrian and Philip II?

Curtisimo likes this.
  10. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

To narrow it down a bit, the reverse of your third coin seems to show Astarte being crowned by Nike standing on a collumn.

11. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

So the third coin could be the following one under Elagabalus.

Elagabalu R Astarte.jpg ElagTyr O       BMC 397.JPG

12. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

7Calbrey and TIF like this.
  13. Jersey magic man

I will try to get some better photos of third and forth coin to bring out some more details. If I hold them in the sun on an angle I can see more than shown in picts. Getting picts of that is a different story.

Draft saved Draft deleted