Help! Opinions Needed on this Proof IHC

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mikem2000, Oct 24, 2012.

1. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

It has been a while since I have added a coin to my collection and I am really up in the air on this one. I like the coin, but it is the price I am concerned about. As always, I am thinking long term and don't want to be buried in the coin if I decide to sell it in the future. It it residing in a PCGS holder and the grader said it was worth a PF 66 BN label. Sooo do you like the grade and how do you feel about the price. The seller wants $1750 and will accept offers, but I do not believe he will move much. PCGS prices it at $1250 in BN and Numismedia says $840 FMV. So there is a substantial toning premium. I alway find it difficult to price out these premium coins.

Thanks,
    Mike

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

That looks like a darn nice coin and darn nice BN proof IHCs have a tendancy to sell themselves at levels much higher than published price guides. At $1,750 perhaps it is too much; perhaps note. However, unless you were to get very lucky, a coin like that will not be purchased at generic prices.

4. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Appreciate that Tom. Yes, I am aware that you cannot get the coin for retail, but you have made me feel a bit better about the coin :) I am going to try to do a bit more research seaching the archives for prices but as you know, they are all over the place for these toned GEM + coins. We'll see...........

5. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Nice IHC, the reverse is killer. Only 9 graded finer, all 67s that are listed at $3,000. If you like it I'd make him an offer. I doubt he'll let it go for less than $1,500 but you get 3 tries on BOs.

Good luck if you go for it...:thumb:

6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I don't care about the toning, but it is a premium coin and as such it will bring a premium. When I bought US coins, for a premium coin I would pay double list up to around $75, then I switched to an absolute number. For a premium coin like this I would be comfortable $200-300 over, but not quite the premium the seller is asking for.

To me, PCGS prices ALREADY factor in a premium, so that is the most personally I would be comfortable with. Since you are worried about future pricing that would be my advice. However, if this was for yoru collection you will keep forever, then I would say buy it if you love it. We tend to forget how much coins we really love cost us. :)

7. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Thanks Chief,

Yeah, I appreciate your input. I seriously doubt he would even do 1500, but you never know.

8. Urban_Lawyer

Urban_Lawyer Half dollar nerd

I don't know much about copper coins, but the picture looks as though the copper might be getting some of that green stuff that grows on copper pipes. Look at the tip of the feathers on the obverse and the top of the shield on the reverse. Doesn't that lower the price?

9. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Thanks Chris,

The sell side is always important to me. It is not like I am even trying to make money on the coin thing, but I just don't like throwing it away. It is my basic belief, that quality coins will do you the best over the long term. "Quality never goes out of style :)" But buying quality coins is easy, getting them at a fair price takes a bit more effort. Still thinking this one through.

Cheers,
    Mike

10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Fair enough. Plus, I must add I am a cheap bugger. :D

11. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Just so you know, the PCGS, Numismedia.com, price guides don't list values with added toning premiums.

12. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Exactly, and that is the tricky part, trying to figure out a fair toning premium without getting yourself burnt :)

13. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Thanks everyone, I have reached an agreement with the seller and the deal is done.

Cheers,
    Mike

14. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

From what I see, I don't think it is verdigris. Verdigris tends to start from little green spotting rather than a whole spread.

15. Cazkaboom

Congrats! Beautiful cent!

16. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

Niiiiiiiice! Be prepared for coin to ask you a serious question.

17. Cazkaboom

Lol!

18. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Prices range all over the place for this date and grade. Heritage most recent looks like it netted $1150(but lousy heritage photos), found one that looked sweet that sold for $700 back in May. So they seem to be all over the place on this coin - to me $1750 is a little high, but you might be able to beat the price. Just not sure about the quality of the coin.

19. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Congrats - looks like while I was poking around on the web you made a deal.

20. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Thanks Caz

21. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

??? Am I missing something :)

Draft saved Draft deleted