Help on grading this coin???

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Tompkins316, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

EDIT: NEW PICS OUTSIDE OF HOLDERS ARE ATTACHED ON 11TH POST OF THIS THREAD

Hey all,

I bought this coin the other night from a coin dealer at a farmers market not too far from my house. It is in very good condition and I was wondering if anyone could help give me an approximate grade and/or value.

It is a 1911 Barber Dime:

barber.jpg barberr.jpg

If you need me to take it out of the 2x2 for a better look just let me know. If you cant tell from the pic its full liberty on the obverse and the details of the head are clear. Also, on the reverse that smudged spot at about 9 o'clock is from the scan. In real view, it is just a spot where the luster is a little faded, but the details of the wreath are still clear. Other than the 2 spots on the rim on the obverse, and the smudge on the reverse, it has full luster

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

No replies. BUMP!

4. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

lol thanks for the bump...I'm really hoping someone can help me with this one...It's the most I've spent on 1 coin so far and its the best condition coin I've bought too so I'm interested in the info

5. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

Hmmmm..I will check my Graysheets for a bid price tom.

6. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

I think you'll definitely have to take it out of the holder for anyone to accurately assess the grade.

7. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

What's that at 10:00 on the reverse?

8. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

I said it in the original post under the pics buts its ok. That came up from when I scanned it. If you look at it in real life that smudgey looking part is just a small area where there luster is worn off, but all of the details are clear. Basically I think the plastic on that part caught a glare from the scanner. If you look at it its just a dull spot but you can still see the wreath parts, so its not like its worn down smooth or anything

9. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

Sorry, I guess I must have skipped right over that part.
    At any rate, it looks like to could go XF, although as others have said, it's difficult to make a judgment of a scan of a coin that is still in the holder.

10. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

No worries, I do it all the time too :)

and yeah I wasn't sure if I should take it out or not....I guess I should tho, I'll take it out and try to get better pics of it tonight after work, thanks for the help

11. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

I'm trying to scan pics of it out of the holder now...I should have them up in a few min

12. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

Here are the new pics:

barber1911.jpg barber1911r.jpg

hopefully that will help you guys give me an approximate grad and/or value

13. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

nah the pic's don't catch the details . XF40

14. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

lol figures...this is the best my scanner will do (at least I think, I honestly don't know what I'm doing with it I accidentally figured out how to scan lol)

the only other thing I can think of is if my sister takes pics of it with her Canon Rebel

15. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

From those pics I'd say EF-40 and worth about $55 , if you use your sisters camera use the macro selection , and don't try to focus with the zoom unless you have to .
    rzage

16. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

I really hope your right with the grade and value...I only paid $15 for it, so that would be making out great with that deal lol

17. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

EF40 looks about right though value for the dime in EF is only about $20. Now if it was a EF40 quarter it would be about $55

18. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

When I looked up in the red book and online sources I think this around what I was finding...still works for me lol

thanks for the help!

19. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

My bad must of looked at the wromg column . Yup was looking at AU-50 . Still you got a nice coin for a good price .
    rzage

20. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

The coin's surfaces appear a bit dull, even for a scan. That would make me worried about an old cleaning.

Presuming the scan is playing tricks on my eyes, the grade of XF seems appropriate.

21. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

except for the spot on the reverse at 9-10 o'clock and the areas near the rim on the obverse, the coin has full luster. It's seriously about as shiny as a new roosevelt dime

plus the guy I bought it from was reallyyyyyyyy old and very serious about the coins and kept telling me the importance of condition. He knows what hes talking about and I'm 99.9999% sure he knows to never clean a coin lol. It really wouldn't surprise me if he got this coin as a kid lol

Draft saved Draft deleted