Help on Attribution of Roman Denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by kevin McGonigal, Nov 11, 2018.

1. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

I know I have seen an image of this coin somewhere but cannot seem to find it in any of my books. Photos are not very good and the reverse has corrosion making hard IMG_0546[1498]Roman coin obverse.jpg IMG_0549[1502]roman coin reverse.jpg to read. It appears to be silver and weighs 3.8 grams. Thanks for any help.

Curtisimo, galba68, dadams and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It would be quite a coup if it were real (I'm assuming it's a modern copy- I could be wrong; I'd love to be wrong :)).

Edited images for ease of study:

CT-KevinM-Augustus.jpg

From CNG's archives, an electrotype of the type:

[​IMG]

398, Lot: 750. Estimate $150.
    Sold for $100. This amount does not include the buyer’s fee.

ROMAN IMPERIAL. Augustus. 27 BC-AD 14. “AR Denarius” (19mm, 3.01 g, 12h). Unsigned British Museum electrotype by Robert Ready or his sons. Rome mint; L. Mescinius Rufus, moneyer. Struck 16 BC. Imago clipeata of Augustus, bareheaded three-quarters right, within laurel-wreath / Mars, holding spear and parazonium, standing left on low pedestal inscribed S • P • Q • R/ V • PR RE/ CAES in three lines. Cf. PCR 333 (for original). As made, toned.

Two more examples from CNG, both authentic (not electrotypes):

[​IMG]
    380, Lot: 480. Estimate $500.
    Sold for $2000. This amount does not include the buyer’s fee.

Augustus. 27 BC-AD 14. AR Augustus (3.35 g). Rome mint; L. Mescinius Rufus, moneyer. Struck 16 BC. Imago clipeata of Augustus, bareheaded three-quarters right, within laurel-wreath / Mars standing left on inscribed pedestal, holding spear and parazonium. RIC I 356; cf. RSC 465-465a-b. Fine, toned, porous surfaces. Very rare.

From the estate of Thomas Bentley Cederlind. Ex Morton & Eden 68 (11 June 2014), lot 109; Found near Lichfield in Staffordshire, September 2005, PAS reference no. WMID-9BED85

[​IMG]

286, Lot: 313. Estimate $300.
    Sold for $625. This amount does not include the buyer’s fee.

Augustus. 27 BC-AD 14. Fourrée Denarius (17mm, 2.95 g, 9h). Imitating a Rome mint issue of 16 BC. L. Mescinius Rufus, moneyer. Bare head of Augustus facing slightly right, within oak wreath / Mars, wearing crested helmet, naked except for a cloak falling over his right arm, standing left on low pedestal, holding spear in right hand and parazonium in left; S P Q R/V PR RE/CAES in three lines on pedestal. Cf. RIC I 356/351 (obv. /rev.); cf. RSC 465/463a (obv./rev.). Good Fine, darkly toned, a few breaks in the plating. Very rare and interesting.

From the R. D. Frederick Collection.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

There are only four others in AC search:

NAC, 2008; 33,000 CHF
    Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 2.32.34 PM.png

NAC, 2013; 6,500 CHF
    Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 2.33.35 PM.png

USB Gold & Numismatics, 2008; 5,000 CHF

Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 2.34.50 PM.png

And one more from a 1933 Adolph E. Cahn auction.

5. kevin McGonigal

I don't know if it is genuine. I bought it at a club show along with a few others which appear real enough. At this rarity it may be worthwhile sending it out.

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I agree!

It overlays quite well with the better NAC coin. Maybe they are all from one set of dies.

I gather that the person selling it did not have it identified? Was the seller someone who collects ancients? If so, red flag. If not... I'll cross my fingers.

Looking forward to seeing other opinions of this coin. I badly want it to be real.

Justin Lee likes this.
  7. kevin McGonigal

No, the person asked me to help ID a few ancients. He deals in US., modern foreign but I always ask at any show if the dealer has any ancients and this time he had some. I only bought this one as it seemed unusual, which I guess it is. I am used to this kind of facing bust only on late Roman solidi. The weight of the one I bought, 3.8 grams, is close to the 3.9 and 3.82 grams of the coins you helped me with and I thank you for steering me to this one.

Roman Collector and Alegandron like this.
  8. kevin McGonigal

IMG_0581[1546]den obv five.jpg IMG_0582[1550]den rev five.jpg I tried to get some better pictures of the denarius. The reverse is a better picture, I think. View attachment 845808

9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

The new image of the reverse is definitely better! However, nothing is going to replace an in-hand examination by an expert.

It looks like a obverse and reverse die match to the authentic examples. Fingers crossed for you and the authenticity! I think it may be genuine :) (usual disclaimer: I am not an expert). Please keep us updated when you receive an expert in-hand opinion :).

10. Plumbata

Plumbata Well-Known Member

What an exciting score, congratulations! I'm a noob and have never seen that coin before, but the thick sulfide patina, and what looks like edge-chipping revealing apparent crystallized silver, would be good enough for me to assume authenticity. Hopefully the experts confirm that you've stumbled upon a great rarity!

kevin McGonigal likes this.
  11. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Would be the score of a lifetime!

12. rg3

rg3 Well-Known Member

It is featured in Harlan Berk's "100 Greatest Ancient Coins" book. That may be where you saw it.

13. kevin McGonigal

It is also pictured in E.R.I.C. II by Rasiel Suarez on p.15, # 1 which I have in my numismatic library.

Draft saved Draft deleted