help numismedia

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by gianni, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Well, no...... Now you are seeing bag marks. Bag marks are considered acceptable when grading a coin. Yours displays a gouge. That is considered damage.

furham likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

What you call “scratches” is part of the design. I see 2-3 hits that’s all.

Kasia likes this.
  4. gianni

gianni Active Member

perhaps you miss it but we are talking about a 1931-D not very common indeed almost rare or with exact NOT COMMON and just 4.480.000 pieces. It does not present important wear except that scratch on the forehand and you tell me that in 20 years it is not worth 100 dollars !!!

5. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I am beginning to think that someone does not want to learn, but rather get confirmation he has high grade coins that are valuable. But the person does not have the background to determine grade, and is resistant (to say the least) to learning or accepting what the standards are and trying to apply them.

I do not care if someone thinks their coins are uber-fantastico and worth hundreds of thousands of $$$, even if they only intend to keep them as mementos. But it is bothersome for someone to consistently then proclaim cleaned, scratched, dinged-up coins as mid or high grade mint state coins. Especially after having a lot of effort to be given to 'supposedly' (well, feels that way) assist in the answering the questions. Sort of like someone consistently asking, hey, is the sky green? and someone saying, no, it's blue. And then the person saying well, it's green to me.

If someone is not here to actually learn, then so be it. At least I take solice in the fact that likely others who are here to learn have probably read the thread and the comments and even maybe looked at the links and actually learned (processed in a positive way) something about coins.

Mike185 likes this.
  6. gianni

gianni Active Member

say what you think but I think you are mistakenly classifying it as soon as AU50, those scratches with the naked eye are invisible can only be seen from the photos and reflections of light, not because I'm the currency but I think that MS60 arrives without much hesitation, seeing a picture with it in your hand changes a lot

7. Kasia

Well now that you know better than anyone in the world what is what, and you think your coin is so perfect, then go on believing it will be worth 100 dollars in 20 years. But don't expect people who actually collect coins and know how to grade and what the grading standards are to confirm that to you. It won't happen. Because it is not true.

1931 D cents are not common but they are not 'rare' really. With 4-1/2 Million minted, you can't say that is 'rare'. What is rare is the high quality ones (MS65 and above) for these. Yours is damaged and would never qualify for that grade.

If you really believe your damaged coin is MS 65 or 66 or whatever, spend your money and send it to PCGS or NGC.

8. Kasia

9. gianni

gianni Active Member

ok, how much does a PCGS review of the currency review? Thank you

10. Kasia

11. gianni

gianni Active Member

Ooooo i see inportant detail the
    Orientation Coin alignment normal is H6 but this coin is H5
    This error get plus value????

12. gianni

gianni Active Member

Normal coins in the USA is obverse Hr12:00 time and reverse is Hr6:00 time. This coin 1931-D is obv hr12:00 and rev hr5:00. When you rotate have effect disaligment!!! Hard error at mintmark Denver

13. Kasia

14. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Gianni, if you bought a 1-acre plot in the middle of the Sahara Desert for $1, would you expect it to be worth $100 in 20 years?

You don't have the slightest idea about grading coins or how their value is affected by damage and circulation. You need to learn how to grade coins, first! Here is a good place to start.....

untitled.png

Chris

16. gianni

gianni Active Member

Tkss,

In America you have a different way of dealing with numismatics. You're stuck with double the stupid mistakes that you pay tens of thousands of dollars wrong investments. in Italy it is preferred to invest in rare coins with a limited circulation the double die market does not like collectors love the rarities of runs

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  17. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

@gianni The high values are based on U.S. Market standards, not Italy. The coins you have DO NOT meet the grading (quality) standards to be valued at those high prices. It does not matter what the Italian hobby thinks about grading and value. The people answering your posts are very experienced and knowledgeable in U.S. Coins. They are giving you the correct answers. If you choose not to believe them, that is your choice, but you should not tell them they wrong. They are right

18. gianni

gianni Active Member

unfortunately when they tell me that the penny of lincoln 1931-D coined in less than 5 million pieces against numbers that exceed billions of pieces in other years and I estimate it 0.10 dollar I say that you do not understand anything because no one has defended me in this attack offensive shut up means that you too are with him that the penny is worth 0.10 dollar, however I'm not here to make controversy and gladly accept all your constructive and intelligent comments that help me understand many things about American coins. THANK YOU

19. gianni

gianni Active Member

I have over 100 American coins and I would like to understand something about their market conditions and prices, I'm not so stupid to post pictures of coins that I think are worth zero I try to post some coins of fair conditions, I posted 4 coins and all I have been despise me by saying that they are worth $ 0.10 by underestimating many beautiful things about coins. I know that the coins that I posted are not the treasures and that are worth only a few tens of dollars but then again I'm not stupid I know very well the Italian coins from 1700 upwards but I never approach American coins, now I have inherited several hundreds and I would like to understand your market but I come from some attacked as if I were here for pleasure to waste time on the PC, I do not speak English well and then I use the google translator and often there are misunderstandings but I try to be honest yet some have laughed at me because I use the translator

20. jafo50

jafo50 Active Member

@gianni I don't believe anyone has laughed at you because you use a translator. Your posts come through just fine. You're not the first collector either novice or experienced that has defended their position on a coin even though opinions by experienced collectors have disagreed. You should learn by the comments made regarding your coins and go forward from there.

There's a lot to learn here and welcome to Coin Talk.

21. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I too own many, many average coins. To me they are as marvelous as my expensive coins. There is nothing shameful about an average coin.

To understand the US coin market, I think the best way I could paint this for you is to understand that value equates to perfection in the example in most cases. And perfection in the absolute strictest of sense. It’s just the way the US coin market has gone. The US coin collector these days is trained to look for any imperfection in the piece. And each imperfection equates to less in intrinsic value. Hope that helps.

Draft saved Draft deleted