Help needed with some coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by svessien, Feb 5, 2020.

1. svessien

svessien Senior Member

C55BA436-CB04-440F-8126-AF11FFC747C2.jpeg

7AB13D52-A5D8-4E7C-A24D-55E92025722C.jpeg

Hi everyone
    These coins are outside my field of numismatic knowledge. I’m not even sure where to start looking. I’m thinking middle east to India/Afghanistan, but this is too broad to be able to search more accurately. Can anyone help me with directions, please?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I believe that top middle one is from Egypt - AH 1293 year 22, which I think comes out to 1898 A.D. I think it is a silver piaster?

The others are Islamic, I believe, but I'm afraid I can't say much more than that.

If you put the size/weights with them, it would be helpful.

svessien likes this.
  4. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

The leftmos and nethermost are all upside down. The left one is the best, is it Abu Said of the Ilkhanid dynasty? That would be in the beginning of the 14th century.

Sardar and svessien like this.
  5. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Wouldn’t you know it

Thanks a lot for your help, both of you. Mike helped me find a 1 quirsh from Egypt, 1293 (1876 ad). Now searching for Abu Said.

Pellinore likes this.
  6. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

The first one in the upper right was struck in Algeria during the Ottoman Empire rule, circa 1237 AH. The year of reign could be 7. The name of the Sultan is Mahmud Khan.

7. Bluntflame

Bluntflame Well-Known Member

the 4th and 5th one almost look like my indian coins.

8. Bluntflame

Bluntflame Well-Known Member

But thats acrylic, so my guess is wrong.

9. Pellinore

The 4th and the 5th are 13th century dirhams, Seljuq or Mamluk maybe.

7Calbrey and svessien like this.
  10. svessien

svessien Senior Member

I appreciate the great help you’ve given me, guys. Now I’ve got 4 more identified coins in albums. That’s progress:) Thank you.

Roman Collector and 7Calbrey like this.
  11. Pellinore

Could you measure and weigh nr. 1 for me, please? I can try to look it ip for you.

svessien likes this.
  12. svessien

svessien Senior Member

It’s 21 mm and about 2 grams. It’s probably Abu Said 2 dirham, but I’m in the dark when it comes to mint and year. Do you collect this area?

13. Pellinore

I tried to look it up in my catalog of Ilkhan coins by Ömer Diler, but I'm inexperienced in this. I think it is an Abu Sa'id dirham of the F type, but I can't read mint (at the bottom of the reverse field) and date (reverse margin). It could be Tabriz and from about 1325-1335 AD. Or is it Sulayman, around 1340? Or is it a later type?

Here is an augmented picture, with obverse left (Kalima in the field, names of the first Caliphs around) and reverse right (name of the sultan in the field, mint underneath, and year in the circular margin). However - I can't really read the lettering, it's less refined than the coins you see at Zeno (look for the obverse square and reverse circle).

The coin is a bit yellowish, but your diameter 21 mm and weight 2 gr don't point in the direction of gold. I think we need an expert. Please, @altaycoins ?

123.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    svessien likes this.
  14. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

@svessien the second coin, first row, middle: Ottoman Empire, it takes some time to understand the legends.
    Gold coins include: the Altin, Mahbub and Kurush. The Kurush coins are the coins we deal with most frequently.

There are two requirements for proclaiming being a Sultan, khutba and money issuance in the name of the Sultan. The first thing to be done is to make a tugra in his name. Tugra can be described as a signature of the Sultan and it was made unique for each Sultan. In a tugra, there are the name of the emperor, name of his father and a prayer: For example, Abdülmecid Han bin Mahmut, el muzaffer daima ( Abdülmecid son of Mahmut, be victorious forever).
    e.g.:
    upload_2020-2-7_1-10-41.png

The tugra was used on coins of the Ottoman era and subsequent period in places beyond its boundaries (Crimea, Sudan, Afghanistan, Indian, Princeshipa). It is very easy to separate them since their details had never come close to the delicacy of the Ottoman tugras. If there is a very fine tugra it is most probably an Ottoman coin. The Turkish name tura (head / obverse) has been derived from the tugra.
    Next phase is to determine the date and mint. Although there is no face value indication on the coins, they all have an issuance date. There are two different dating system in Ottoman coin Kostantiniye ( Costantinople), Misir (Egypt) and Baghdad, there is the date of the accession of the Sultan and either on the obverse or the reverse, the year of the reign when it was issued is shown. The date of the accession is accepted as the first year and is called as "cülüs" i.e. AH 1255/5 shows the 5th reign year of Sultan Abdülmecid. In order to determine the exact date you can do this simple calculation: 1255+5-1=1259. if you can determine one of the accession dates mentioned above, you can easily find the name of the Sultan. Special care is necessary for the coins issued in 1293, since in this year there were three Sultans: Abdulaziz, Murat V whose era started, and Abdulhamid.
    You can read the details here: http://www.coinsworld.eu/info/ottoman-coin/

I used the information of coinsworld.eu to attribute my coin, and it took me some time; it was really fun to discover all the meanings and I just hope I did it right:

Ottoman Empire, Abdülmecid I, AU, 50 Kurush,
    Year 12 ١٢٥٥ - Muslim Lunar (Hijra) [AH] 1255 (1850)
    Qustantiniya (Constantinople mint), 1849 - 1850
    3.57 g, 12 mm
    Ref.: Friedberg 19; Ölcer 31.066; Pere 879; KM 678
    Obverse:
    سنه
    Toughra, stars and RY within wreath.
    ١٢ below toughra (12)
    Reverse: Legend (May he be victorious) Constantinople date 1255; star above; all within wreath.
    عز نصره
    ضرب في
    قسطنطينية

upload_2020-2-7_1-21-38.png upload_2020-2-7_1-22-26.png

7Calbrey, svessien and Pellinore like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted