Help needed with proof sets

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dynoking, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Can any one educate and advise me regarding how to maximize the value of my proof sets?
    Example;
    PCGS price guide lists a 1968 S (with/S) PR set for $9.
    However individual prices list as,
    (Assuming PR67 and there are no verities)
    1C - $15
    5C - $12
    10C - $5
    25C - $15
    50C - $14
    $61
    It seems like a no brainer to break out each set and holder each coin individually. Any thoughts?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

IMO, even the PCGS price guide is inaccurate with listed prices being much higher than reality.
    You might want to check eBay for better price info. Look at completed sales to get a better idea of value.

4. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Wouldn't you have the expense of having one of the TPG slab them included in your calculation?

5. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

What is the $46 amount for?

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm not quite seeing the economics here if it costs $20-30 to slab each coin.

Blissskr likes this.
  7. rickmp

It's going to cost you at least $20 to slab each coin.
    That cost exceeds the value of each coin. A no brainer.
    And even then, there's never a guarantee of high
    grades, even for proofs.

cpm9ball likes this.
  8. Dynoking

I agree, the costs of grading exceed the potential value of the coin(s). Unless I find a "ringer" (I have other dates) they would have to remain raw.

9. Dynoking

The total of the individual coin prices. I typed as a dollar amount total but for some reason the column shifts when I post (and attempt to edit) it.

10. rickmp

That's the least of what should bother you.

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm guessing that you're leaving off the cent when you're adding up the numbers.

12. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

13. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Ask yourself this.... if all one had to do was crack open such an extremely plentiful and inexpensive set in order to multiply their money, don't you think said sets wouldn't be so cheap and/or plentiful? I'm not saying this to sound mean, but because it's something you'd be wise to consider and understand. Unfortunately, many newer collectors/individuals do or think just as you have, and need to realize it's simply not so easy.

As the others have said, submission fees alone would almost certainly destroy any chance of "maximizing" value, most likely leaving you well in the hole, and as raw standalone coins, no one is going to pay anywhere near the posted values, mostly for the above reason. The fact is that while there are many ways to profit in this hobby, very rarely do the easy or seemingly obvious paths get you there. There's a very good reason why those possessing above average knowledge usually do much better than those who don't.

Blissskr likes this.
  14. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Assuming an average of PR67 coins for a 1968 proof set you'd be lucky to get $6 for the whole thing and that's on Ebay where prices are inflated. PCGS lists the value of coins in PCGS slabs which as others have pointed out adds an expense greater than the value it adds. Even then PCGS valuations are often way off. Unless there's a variety or some of the coins are cameo or deep cameo, run of the mill 68' proof sets really only sell for the price they do because they contain that 40% half.

15. Dynoking

Corrected. Thanks for pointing that out.

16. Dynoking

Thanks for the insight. What you point out is exactly what prompted me to ask for advice.

17. Dynoking

"PCGS lists the value of coins in PCGS slabs" - Helps explain the price difference between the complete set vs individual. I didn't include grading fees in my original thoughts because I know the grading expenses exceed the coins value. What I should have realized the is the price difference between a raw coin and a PCGS graded coin.
    Thanks to all for the valuable knowledge!

Blissskr likes this.
  18. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Kudos for the wise approach. :)

That said, ideally a coin is worth the same amount raw as it is slabbed (certification can add much to a coin such as liquidity), but in reality it can be somewhat of a gray area, especially with coins such as these. A coin is what it is inside or outside of a slab, but the fact is most are unable to see this, or are shoulder the risk, and is a big reason for what you're seeing.

Dynoking likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted