Help needed with a possible Cast Celtic Potin With Running Rabbit(?)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Plumbata, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Plumbata

Plumbata Well-Known Member

I picked up this coin-like item in a big batch of artifacts being liquidated from a collector's estate, ranging from the Neolithic through the 19th century though it's mostly ancient material. If it had provenance it was lost long ago, though the bag of artifacts it was in had an "Iberian flavor" if that makes sense, though I can't say for sure.

It has a rather thick patina which has chipped off in several places revealing yet more copper salts so I'm sure it languished underground for a good long time.

It appears to show a running hare or rabbit on 1 side, and on the other side a flowering lily or iris with a bird roosting or nesting below.

It is 3.18g and 18mm in diameter.

Included in the picture are a definite cast celtic plus some neat cast coins of Istros. Juxtaposed with the definite cast coins the piece in question seems to exhibit a rather more refined style and casting technique, but I don't know what the norms or spectrum of quality for such coins was.

I tried searching google images but didn't get anywhere, so I am hoping that one of you walking encyclopedias will recognize it!

102_0064.JPG

102_0065.JPG

Thanks for any help!

Bing and Pellinore like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted