Help needed with a 1952S Dime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LotsofCoppers, Oct 19, 2013.

1. LotsofCoppers

LotsofCoppers Active Member

Hello :) Is there an explanation for the "156a" on the obverse and the "S" on the torch flame on the reverse? They appear to be raised above the surface.

Any help appreciated!

IMG_4758.jpg IMG_4759.jpg

torontokuba likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Very interesting.

4. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Never seen anything quite like it before, but maybe it's just some counterstamp?

5. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Yes, but it sticks out from the surface of the coin and there is no indentations surrounding it, from being counterstamped. Almost looks like it would be part of the original die.

6. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

This is a head scratcher. It must have spent time in circulation, unless it was cast with fake dies? That would explain the lack of luster and the added inscriptions, as well as the weakness in the chin immediately surrounding the added 5 on the obverse. Hmmm

7. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

That really is interesting!

8. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

My guess is glue residue. I've seen this on many other coins that people considered errors. Just gotta find out what was glued onto it. Maybe perhaps a locker key?

9. LotsofCoppers

Thanks all for the comments :) I don't know anything about how the glue residue might appear. I did try wiping it with a soft cloth and some verdicare but it is still the same. Here are a few more pics anyway -closer views.

IMG_4789.jpg IMG_4790.jpg IMG_4792.jpg

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

That is really odd.

11. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Carefully placed silver solder? If so, why?

12. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

I thought it looked added as well. The text looks a little too perfect for something done by hand with no apparent purpose, but maybe a stencil of sorts was used? However, you have it nailed with questioning why anyone would do that. Perhaps it was done by a dealer or silver hoarder, in an attempt to indisputably mark these coins in the case that they were robbed? When the added characters are searched on bing(it came to be my default, though I am not sure how, and am not grateful for it) the first thing that appears is a chapter of Massachusetts general laws. Maybe it is some lawyer's piece?

13. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

And the coin has been heavily and abrasively cleaned AFTER the added text (and I DO believe the text was added much later).
    Particularly obvious on the "S" on the reverse.

I suspect the cleaning had to do with eliminating extra marks left during whatever process was used to add the text.

Interesting item.

Kentucky likes this.
  14. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

That is fascinating. If you are sure it is not glue, etc. as mentioned previously, then I vote for a "squeeze" impression - the coin was in between two objects that contained the characters and then squeezed or struck. It is worth noting that the added characters are opposite each other on the coin (lower obverse, upper reverse).

I have created rasied letters or words on a coin by stamping them into a metal washer or disk and then resting a coin on top of that and striking the coin in the area correspinding to the markings on the washer. The pressure forces the surface of the coin resting on the washer into the stamped letters. If done right, there is only minor disruption to the surface where the coin was struck from above. The "S" on your coin I could easily do myself. The rest? That is rhe curious part....

In your case, the letters read correctly, so the "die" was in reverse. Also, the letters on the obverse follow the contour of FDRs neck, meaning the object that was used as the "die" was either curved or soft enough to bend to the contour of the coin's design. That is the part that makes this such a mustery.

LotsofCoppers likes this.
  15. LotsofCoppers

I'm bumping up this old thread of mine to see if anyone else wanted to comment about this coin.

I had put it aside after posting in 2013 but I was recently reorganizing my collection and came across it again.

I don't collect US mint coins - does anyone have any advice on what I should do with this coin? Thank you! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted