Help needed pls - Edward ?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Topcat7, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

I am having difficulty attributing this early English hammered coin.
    It is 18.6 mm., and weighs 0.97 gm.
    I bought it as Edward I, but I am having trouble placing it there.
    Curiously, the reverse legend is CIVITAS EBORACI (appears to be), BUT the word (town) EBORACI is written with EBOR in one quadrant and ACI in the other. The only references I can find show only EBO in one quadrant and RACI in the other.
    (Also, I cannot positively say that it is Edward I and I am leaning towards Edward III.)
    Can you help me please?
    Magical Snap - 2019.04.12 08.30 - 015.png Magical Snap - 2019.04.12 08.29 - 013.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

nice coin..i'd say it's somewhere in there

4. AnYangMan

AnYangMan Well-Known Member

Based on the shape of the crown and the abbreviation of the king’s name, it is definitely Edward I. The Royal York mint did not mint all classes/groups; only 2,3 & one issue of group 9. Looking at the shape of the bust, the crown and most importantly the shapes of the letter N (pothook) and H (no notched tail), it become clear that we are dealing with a coin from 9B2. I even believe the stereotypical star-on-breast might be present, although the area is quite worn.This type dates from roughly 1299-1301 (second recoinage), thus placing it firmly within the reign of Edward I. The placing of EBOR in one quadrant is indeed not commonly seen, but I personally think this is just the die-engraver making a choice. These were made with punches, so he had to make sure to space everything correctly. Maybe he experimented with putting the R in this quadrant to prevent the tightly packed RACI we usually see in the last quadrant? Anyhow, it is not significant for its classification.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Andres2 and Topcat7 like this.
  5. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

@AnYangMan
    I thank you for your reply. Your (expert) comments have certainly helped me greatly. I do appreciate the time you have taken to assist me.
    Thank you.

AnYangMan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted